Hi all, I’ve been trying to improve / solve this important problem with cloth simulation with PhysX 2.8 for over a month and thus far no improvement… any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!
My setup is PhysX SDK 126.96.36.199 under Windows based on the basic clothing samples found in the SDK. The symptoms are:
- Capsule movement, radius change, length change are all OK and the neighboring cloth moves fluidly without problems. Switching to spheres there are no problems as well…
- However, even a minute rotation to the capsule frequently causes the neighboring cloth to ‘pop’ or ‘move suddenly’ as if some cloth particles were suddenly applied a very large force away from the just-rotated capsule, possibly due to a ‘collision penalty’.
- This happens in hardware / GPU mode and is even worse in software / CPU mode.
- I have tried all kinds of settings for the density of the cloth and the capsule colliders to no effect.
- I have tried setting the ‘cloth thickness’, stretching, bending, solvert iterations, damping, etc to no effect.
In other words, this ‘popping’ of the cloth when neighboring capsules rotate make the usage of capsules unusable as the visual effects are much too apparent to the player.
Any ideas? Has anyone ever encountered capsule misbehavior near cloth?
P.S. I unfortunately cannot move to PhysX3-branch because of its overly-limiting “32 spheres / capsules” limit cloth collider. (In my PhysX 188.8.131.52 setup I can safely collide with around 700 capsules with great performance if I don’t rotate them)