Quadro FX 4600 no device found on WinXP64 device could not be found

Hello there,

I have got some troubles on my WinXP64. I have installed the newest version of the driver, the SDK and the toolkit but running deviceQuery looks like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NVIDIA CUDA SDK\bin\win64\Release

\deviceQuery.exe"

There is no device supporting CUDA.

Device 0: "Device Emulation (CPU)"

Major revision number:                         -1

Minor revision number:                         -1

Total amount of global memory:                 -1 bytes

Total amount of constant memory:               65536 bytes

Total amount of shared memory per block:       16384 bytes

Total number of registers available per block: 8192

Warp size:                                     32

Maximum number of threads per block:           512

Maximum sizes of each dimension of a block:    512 x 512 x 64

Maximum sizes of each dimension of a grid:     65535 x 65535 x 1

Maximum memory pitch:                          262144 bytes

Texture alignment:                             256 bytes

Clock rate:                                    1350000 kilohertz

Test PASSED

The device manager shows me the correct version of the driver and of course the correct device description (Quadro FX 4600).

Can anyone help me please?

Thank you,

Markus

Specifically which driver did you install, and from where did you obtain it?

I installed the driver from the NVIDIA website with the name 169.47_quadro_winxp64_english_whql.exe which shows me the version number 6.14.11.6947 in the device manager of win.

EDIT: I found the problem. CUDA does not work with remote desktop.
Sorry for the trouble.

The same problem again on another Win XP x64. Now I have a GTX 280 with the newest driver from NVIDIA. As graphics card for output I use the onboard ATi card. The device is shown correctly in the device manager of windows but every example program says there is no CUDA device.
This time I am sitting in front of this PC so no remote desktop problems.

Thanks,
Markus

As far as I know in XP you cannot mix NVIDIA-cards with other cards (only 1 graphics card driver can be loaded at a time…)

And I do not have any chance to get this configuration to run (maybe with the standard vga driver or what ever)? Would this work with vista?

Markus

Word on the forum is that this might work in Vista, tmurray has posted it should work in Vista. It certainly works in Linux, only XP is 100% sure not to work.

What. You have it backwards. Vista will only run with a single graphics vendor; with XP that is not the case and you can use as many GPU vendors as you want (assuming your machine doesn’t become very unstable and explode violently in the process). In this case, I’m doubting that it’s even loading the driver if you don’t have a monitor connected to it, though. I’m not sure if there’s a good way around that (besides “run Linux”).

Ok, I tried both, Vista and XP and both won’t load the driver. XP does not complain anything, it is just not working and Vista says that the driver is not compatible with the ATi driver and deactivates the card.

It seams that I have to use Linux to get rid of my problems.

Thanks for help anyway.

that is about the third time I have made the same mistake (it is difficult to guess the right position for those 2 holes for your eyes in a brown paper bag…), so I will refrain from talking about it again. I’ll just tell people to use linux ;) And the stupid thing is that it is actually easy to remember. With windows you get less option with newer versions :P