CUDA 2.1 won't run any example program, Vista, Quadro 770m Driver appear to have installed corre

Hi all,

I’m trying to setup CUDA on my laptop (Dell Precision M4400), which has a Quadro FX 770m GPU. This is (supposedly) CUDA-compatible. I am using VS2008 for an IDE.

I got the 181.20 drivers to install, finally, by replacing the INF file from the 181.20 driver on laptopvideo2go.com. I then ran “setup.exe”, “PDSetup.exe” and “PhysX_8.10.13_SystemSoftware.exe”. All seemed to install just fine. Also, the Toolkit and the SDK seemed to install just fine. Most of the projects in the SDK examples compile (really only the Dx stuff doesn’t compile). But nothing runs. I keep getting the error “invalid device function” in cutilCheckMsg(), which promptly exits.

Is there any way to diagnose if the driver is correctly installed? Is there something else I should look for?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I’m running Vista 32-bit. The driver appears to install correctly (no messages about not installing correctly), but the bandwidth test program (that comes with the sdk) reports that it can’t find a CUDA-supported device, so I’m guessing that it didn’t install.

Any advice?

I was having similar problems with Quadro FX 3700M on my new Lenovo Thinkpad W700. Searched this forum/the Internet for some time and haven’t found any satisfactory solution. Then I actually succeeded in fixing the problem myself. The step-by-step guide is what follows.

Step 1. Download the latest CUDA notebook driver and make sure the error something like “no driver found for installed hardware” appears.

Step 2. Go to Device Manager->Display Adapters->Properties->Details->Hardware Ids. Copy the line that remotely resembles this: DEV_061E&SUBSYS_211817AA . (assuming you have already installed some driver, whose only problem is that it doesn’t support CUDA).

Step 3. Go to the folder where the driver has unpacked to, find “listdevices.txt” in “Display” subfolder.

Step 4. Find in “listdevices.txt” the line that closely resembles the copied one at the same time giving you the correct videocard name (e.g. FX 3700M). Append the string of your copied Hardware Id and adapter name right under all other strings that have your adapter name. Notice, which INF file those strings correspond to (e.g. NVCV.INF).

Step 5. Go to the correspondent INF file. Append two lines to it: 1. String in the format “%NVIDIA_G92.DEV_061E.6% = nv_G9x, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_061E&SUBSYS_211817AA” right below the strings with Hardware Ids of graphics card of the type you have. 2. The string "NVIDIA_G92.DEV_061E.6 = "NVIDIA Quadro FX 3700M “” right below strings with your adapter name, i.e. format NVIDIA_G92.DEV_061E.N, where N is a consecutive number. The number of placeholders at the end of the last string should be N-1 and don’t ask me why External Media

Step 6. Save and close all the files and run Setup.exe in the root folder.

Step 7. Enjoy GPGPU support, e.g. CUDA of your graphics card External Media

see computer168 reply [url=“http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=95437&st=0&gopid=536328&#entry536328”]http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry536328[/url]

Vga your it OK;