Raspberry Pi HQ Camera Compatibility

Has anyone tried if Raspberry Pi’s new HQ Camera works with Jetson Nano? I figured it would since it’s probably the same driver.

I think you need to implement the driver for this sensor to work on Nano.

Hi,
I can confirm that the new HQ cameras don’t (currently) work on the Jetson Nano. My guess is that the driver for the Sony IMX477 sensor is not implemented - at least, my Nano delivers me the message “camera not found”.
I am new with the Jetson, so there might be a solution around this issue, I found on the Wiki the link to RidgeRun, a company that might produce according V4L2 drivers, but the costs are enormous.
Maybe NVIDIA will jump in, since there will surely be a lot of people who want to use the improved camera module from the Raspberry Pi. And, if it’s not supported by the Jetson Nano, these people will go for another SBC solution, I guess.
BTW, AlliedVision has already drivers for their IMX477 cameras, but I don’t think that they might be of particular help for the Raspberry Pi HQ camera module.

I see that the ridgerun page list the imx477 as already developed a v4l2 driver for other nvidia SoC:

Also leopard imaging has some products utilizing imx477 here:
https://leopardimaging.com/product/nvidia-jetson-cameras/nvidia-tx1tx2-mipi-camera-kits/csi-2-mipi-cameras/li-jetson-kit-imx477-x/

So definitely seems possible! Im a programmer but never worked on camera drivers. I’d definitely be interested in helping though when i get my camera and nano

Hi All,

RidgeRun is working on a free version of the driver. We expect to have it done in 2 to 3 weeks. As you noticed we already have the IMX477 driver for other cameras so we are porting the driver to make it working on Xavier NX + Raspberry Pi HQ. This driver should also work on Jetson Nano. Please stay tuned, we will add the release notes in this wiki page soon:

-David

2 Likes

Hi David,

Thanks for the response. One question about this new driver. On the Wiki it says:

At this point RidgeRun is working to support one mode only but others can be added per request.

Could you clarify which mode will be made available? And would requesting other modes cost money?

Hi,

Ideally we would like to get 1080p and one of the 4056x2288 modes working. Also since the driver will be open source you could use it as starting point to add support for more modes. We will be working with NVIDIA and Leopard Imaging on this for the calibration file. Stay tuned to our wiki and blog posts.

Besides software products RidgeRun also sells support hours, if instead you want RidgeRun extending the driver for you that is possible too but you will need to contact-us.

-David

2 Likes

David, waiting for the driver

Will the driver support the 2x2 binning mode, to be able to get better quality and performance?

Will the driver utilize the bandwidth of the Xavier NX I2C bus to improve performance → better fps?

/Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,

Binning will definitely improve the FOV. However, we are trying to get the basic modes working first. Once the basic driver is working adding new modes is straightforward.

-David

I forgot to mention, the i2c bus is to communicate the NX with the sensor so I doubt it will help to improve the fps in the HQ Raspberry pi camera.

What helps to improve the fps is the speed of the MIPI CSI Bus. According to the IMX477 datasheet its maximum speed is 2.1 Gbps per lane. The interface in the NX is 2.5Gbps per lane max according to the datasheet. If that is the case we are limited by the camera which is a 2 MIPI CSI Lanes device.

You can use this spreadsheet to play with the numbers (in theory):

Now we need to start testing with the driver to see if the clocks and internal camera sensor processing allow us to take advantage of all the bandwidth available or not. We will be limited by the specs of the Sony sensor that are shown in the table in our wiki but at least we see that the bandwidth is there.

-David

1 Like

Thanks David, good news.

Yes, i mixed up the I2c interface with the MIPI.

If you need any assistance in early testing or so, please let me know

/Fredrik

Good to know that work is being done on these.

Whenever you get something my scenario is to have 2 IMX477 RPI HQ cameras running at the same time (although with different lenses)

Best regards

David,

The modes that are supported in Raspberry would be perfect for a start, but with an increased MIPI speed of course :-)

/Fredrik

Any update about the compatibility of the new Rapsberry Pi HQ Camera for Jetson Nano? Did somebody manage to get it working?

Hi,

We bought the camera from two different stores, since the delivery time was slow (I suppose due to covid19) we decided to start the driver ahead. Last Thursday we finally received the cameras and as some of you already noticed the camera is not detected in the i2c bus. I think we have identified the problem with help from NVIDIA and Leopard. We will be running the tests today and tomorrow with this fix in place. If this solves the problem we will share it with you. Once this issue is solved we will start running tests with the current version of our driver.

-David

6 Likes

I am still waiting for mine. Good luck with the driver.

David,
I understand your pain in ordering as it took me over a month to receive the hq camera and the 6mm lens. I just received the camera yesterday and was looking forward to running some opencv stuff with it on the nano. After seeing it was incompatible I found this forum and was relieved to see these recent posts. Glad to see it is actively being worked on, please let us know when the driver is ready, I will be checking this blog regularly :)

Hi all,

As an update from RidgeRun side, we got the cameras this week and we were able to get our driver working for 1080p resolution using V4L2 in the Jetson Xavier NX. We will work on finishing the support and cleaning it up to make it available for you all.

Moreover, in order to make the camera work, you all need to make a little change on the hardware side, otherwise the camera will never appear on the I2C bus. You can get more information about the hardware modification in this wiki page: https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi_HQ_camera_IMX477_Linux_driver_for_Jetson

3 Likes

As an additional note, just to clarify:

You will be able to see the camera in the i2c bus with this small hardware change. This is mandatory to let the driver configure the camera and for the Jetson to capture. However, we are still in the process of testing the driver. We recommend you to wait on us to release the driver before making the hardware change. You won’t be able to capture without the driver. We are working on it to release it as soon as possible.

-David

1 Like

Does the camera modification mean it can’t be used with a Pi anymore? I’m willing to sacrifice it if that’s the case, but if it could go back and forth that would be nice too.