Rendering point clouds using mesh shaders

I’m currently a graduate student working for a client who’s interested in rendering large point clouds. I’ve been doing research regarding traditional methods in rendering point clouds, but I recently saw the Unreal Engine 5 asteroids demo in which they were able to render 50 million triangles using mesh shaders and got curious if it would be possible to use this technology in rendering point clouds. I am interested in how mesh shaders compare to the more traditional methods of rendering point clouds.

I’ve been looking into mesh shaders and I was wondering if would be possible to somehow utilize this technology to render a large amount of points. I’ve been playing around with some demos trying to use meshlets, but all I’ve been able to do is convert an existing mesh into meshlets of triangles. What I would like to be able to do is input a large amount of points and divide those into smaller meshlets.

Would it be possible to use mesh shaders to render a large amount of points and how would I go about doing it?

Some resources I’ve found in researching mesh shaders for anyone curious:

https://www.geeks3d.com/20200519/introduction-to-mesh-shaders-opengl-and-vulkan/