Rolling black filter on certain fullscreen apps (Ubuntu 16.04, GTX 1080)

I have a Razer Blade Pro (GC: GTX 1080) running Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on kernel 4.10.0-37-generic.

Whenever I fullscreen certain applications (such as Chrome, video games, etc.), a black bar will slowly come down from the top of the screen and cover it. Any refresh action (like moving the mouse or a game redrawing a frame) will reset the black bar to the top and cause some considerable flickering or distortion. An example is hosted on YouTube:

Linux Display Bug - YouTube.

When coming out of this distorted state, the screen will noticeably flicker for a while before returning to normal.

This will not happen with apps like Firefox, GNOME Terminal, or just the Unity desktop – perhaps this has something to do with rendering?

This does not happen on a guest session, which suggests this is a config issue but I have no idea where to start.

This is currently happening on driver version 387.12, but I’ve seen it on 384.90 as well.

Is there anything I can do or otherwise try to allow me to fix this?

An Ask Ubuntu thread has been launched for this issue, which may give additional insight or information into what’s going on.

My nvidia bug report file is available here.