ROS2 Humble (Desktop) for Jetson Nano

Hi all,
This is my first post, so please be patient, I’m still fragile* :-)
*Kindly excuse any silly and/or unclear questions.

I have a Jetson Nano 4GB Model B01 (the one with two CSI camera ports, but not the Rev.3)
After some troubles with initial set-up I was able to get it running and competed NVIDIA AI Developer course basics.

Now I’m looking for a docker container to start developing for my Robot I’m building. Being new to docker and the entire Jetson Nano environment I’m unsure which one to select.

I have been so far developing in ROS2 - Humble on a different Ubuntu 22.04 PC.

running:
head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release

R32 (release), REVISION: 7.1, GCID: 29818004, BOARD: t210ref, EABI: aarch64, DATE: Sat Feb 19 17:05:08 UTC 2022

returns the above on my Jetson nano.

Am I correct in assuming I can
ROS2 Humble (desktop) R35.1.0 dustynv/ros:humble-desktop-l4t-r35.1.0

as a pre-compiled image? I rather do not want to build from source, being a noob and all.

If the above is not the right version, kindly suggest which one to use, or if my jetson nano needs some updating and what / how?

Sorry I’m very confused :-/
Thanks

1 Like

L4T 35.1 is Jetpack 5.0.2 and does not support Jetson Nano officially.
You can find what is proper version for your Jetson nano here:

Foxy and Galactic are ready to use.

Humble wouldn’t build for Ubuntu 18.04, so there are only container images of that for JetPack 5 and Ubuntu 20.04. Also ros-desktop for Foxy/Galactic/Humble would only build on JetPack 5 and 20.04 as well. @andrew.cra2019 since you are on JetPack 4 / L4T R32.7.1, you would need to use one of the r32.7.1 container tags (the latest of which would be dustynv/ros:galactic-ros-base-l4t-r32.7.1)

Thank you @Mt.Hiker and @dusty_nv

I will stick with Galactic then for now. That means I will have to make some modifications to my existing ROS2 codebase, which I had developed on another Ubuntu PC.

Follow-up question (if I may)
Is there any planned support from Jetpack 5.xxx.x in the future to extend support to Jetson Nano? As I can see Jetson Nano is not EOL, but just difficult to manufacture due to chip shortage and other supply chain issues.

Thanks

Hi @andrew.cra2019, there aren’t plans to bring JetPack 5 to Nano - for more info, please see Jetson Software Roadmap for 2H-2021 and 2022

Nano will continue to be supported with updates to JetPack 4 - the latest update was posted earlier this month: JetPack 4.6.3/L4T 32.7.3 released

Hey @dusty_nv,

Never mind,
I have found it in the documentation, it’s a simple apt update process, douh’

https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/l4t-archived/l4t-3261/index.html#page/Tegra%20Linux%20Driver%20Package%20Development%20Guide/updating_jetson_and_host.html#

Disregard my older post below

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is no download link for the SD-card image of the latest 4.6.3 release.

https://developer.nvidia.com/jetpack-sdk-463#collapseJetsonNano
only points to the one I have installed,  which is 4.6.1
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.