Second display problem

Hello! I just made my MSI laptop dual boot (Win 11 + Ubuntu). After Ubuntu’s installation finished my second display was working properly. I decided to change to nvidia drivers and then had some problems:

nvidia 525 (prop & tested): not detecting second screen
nvidia 525 (prop): detecting second screen but not working
nvidia 515 (prop): detecting and working but with a purple-ish colour

The cable and ports are working properly (tested on Windows). I use minidisplayport on my laptop. I also checked with HDMI but I had the exact same problems.

Hi there @zisisbatzos and welcome to the NVIDIA developer forums.

To start with I would recommend to stay with the tested 525 driver and make sure you have properly authenticated the driver in case you are using secure boot.

Then check that you have Prime active to prioritize the NVIDIA GPU. For that simply run

sudo prime-select nvidia

If that does not help, please share your nvidia-bug-report.log.gz here. Check this post to see how to obtain it.

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you @MarkusHoHo for the quick response! So:

I reinstalled 525 (prop & tested) but I am not sure how to check if it is authenticate it
I run sudo prime-select nvidia and this is what I got:

Info: selecting the nvidia profile. Deleting /lib/modprobe.d/nvidia-runtimepm.conf. Updating the initramfs. Please wait for the operation to complete: Done (still not detecting the second display)

Here is the report: Processing: nvidia-bug-report.log.gz…

After using prime-select you also need to run
sudo update-initramfs -u
and then reboot to make the settings persistent.

Did it - again no detection of second display.
nvidia-bug-report.log (852.3 KB)

@MarkusHoHo I think I figured it out!
I selected nvidia-driver-525-open (proprietary, tested) the second display was not detected.
I selected the nvidia-driver-525-server (proprietary) and the display was working. The purple-ish colors problem was fixed by choosing a different profile from Settings → Color for my monitor!

So, as a last question, what is the difference between a 525-open, 525-server and 525 drivers?

1 Like

Great to hear that you got it working!

The open drivers use the Open Source parts of the kernel module (dkms).
The server driver assumably has certain build configurations that additionally support headless (no display connection) installation and acting as a remote X server, but I am not 100% certain.
The default version is the normal proprietary driver supplied by NVIDIA as is.

My suspicion is that when installing the server version that the kernel modules were re-compiled and fixed the setup. Or reset the x-config correctly.

Just make sure to back up your current configuration and settings to be able to reproduce in case there is another problem.