[sort of solved] CUDA on ubuntu 18.04 with GF106GL [Quadro 2000] [10de:084a]

Hello,

I could not find out how to install the CUDA package for my legacy GF106GL [Quadro 2000] [10de:084a] on ubuntu 18.04.

AFAIK I need the CUDA 2.1 package.
Could someone give me a hint - or tell me it’s not possible… ?

Cheers,
Wolf

This topic (how to install CUDA on a GPU that is no longer supported) is covered in many many posts here on these forums. Fermi devices were last supported in CUDA 8.0.

1. Do a fresh load of a supported OS (see item 3 below).
  2. Get your CUDA installer here: [url]http://www.nvidia.com/getcuda[/url] (use legacy releases to get CUDA 8.0)
  3. Follow the instructions in the linux install guide that is part of that CUDA release. The linux install guide is linked from the legacy releases page, in the “online documentation”

Here is the link for the linux install guide for CUDA 8.0:

[url]https://developer.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/8.0/prod/docs/sidebar/CUDA_Installation_Guide_Linux-pdf[/url]

There is no official support for CUDA 8.0 on Ubuntu 18.04. If you choose to use Ubuntu 18.04 anyway, you may run into various problems, such as not being able to install the driver.

Your statement “I need CUDA 2.1” is confusing the compute capability of the device (2.1) with the CUDA version (8.0, or whatever). They are not the same, and the compute capability of the device does not tell you directly which CUDA version to use.

Ah. I seem to be out of the game as I’m running 18.04. Let’s see whether I’m courageous enough to try it anyway - seems not to make so much sense.

It might work, I cannot say for certain. However it wouldn’t surprise me if you ran into trouble, the most common trouble spot that I know of would be driver install.

It might also be that the “standard” g++ version used by Ubuntu 18.04 is not supported by CUDA 8.0, causing trouble if you attempt to use it anyway. But there are usually ways to use a lower version of g++ on any given linux install. Plenty of discussions about this on the web.

Thank you very much for your elaborate answer. Well, that does not sound too promising. I’d appreciate “official” support for bionic and my graphics, but at the end of the day it looks like a better idea to go for a more modern card.

Cheers,
Wolf