Installing Cuda (Which version)

Ubuntu 16.04
GeForce G105M

I am trying to use my old laptop which has Nvidia graphics to take advantage of cuda. Unfortunately I tried most of the ways on the internet without success.

I would like to ask the following:

1. Is it possible to run cuda on GeForce G105M;
    1.1 If so, which cuda should I install (tried version 9) but it does not work.
  2. Will it make any difference if I use windows instead (hope not, really in love with ubuntu).

I tried installing with both the .deb and .run files. They both install successfully but I cannot run the samples. I keep getting “cudaGetDeviceCount returned 11
→ invalid argument
Result = FAIL”.

Other errors I got were getting stuck in login loop, cudaGetDeviceCount returned 35
→ CUDA driver version is insufficient for CUDA runtime version
Result = FAIL among many others.

Thank you. Please let me know if I should provide more information.

How old is this notebook? From around 2009 or 2010, maybe? The only GeForce G105M I can find listed is roughly from that timeframe and has compute capability 1.1. NVIDIA specifies performance as 38 GFLOPS, which is quite likely less than what the notebook’s CPU provides.

Devices with compute capability 1.1 are not supported by current NVIDIA drivers or current CUDA versions. If memory serves, devices with compute capability 1.1 were last supported in CUDA 6.0, 4+ years ago.

My advice: There is really no point in trying to get old versions of CUDA to work with old drivers on outdated hardware; use a more recent system platform to learn CUDA.