Ubuntu 18.04 has experienced an internal Error

Every time I boot the Jetson Xavier with Jetpack 4.0 DP I get a message about an internal error.

Title → hud-service crashed with SIGSEGV
Executable Path → /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/hud/hud-service
Package → hud 14.10+17.10.20170619-0ubuntu2
ProblemType → Crash

Anyone else experience this issue?

Have not seen it
(virgin JetPack4.0 DP EA with Ubuntu 18.04 host)

hello S4WRXTTCS,

could you please gather the failure messages and attach it here.
please also share the steps/scenario of how the crash shown, thanks

Early on I remember seeing a hud-service crash, but I don’t remember what I was doing. I’ve done a complete “sudo apt update; sudo apt-get upgrade” since then, and I haven’t seen it a second time.

If you use CTRL-ALT-F2 (or an ssh login), do you have console available? Can you force to non-gui mode via:

sudo systemctl isolate multi-user.target

If that works, then go back to GUI target, but first, on another console (e.g., ALT-F3 or a second ssh login), run “dmesg --follow” to see what shows up:

sudo systemctl isolate graphical.target

Do verify if all of the NVIDIA files are in place first with:

sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release

@linuxdev,
Sorry, a bit off topic for this thread.

I am at ubuntu 17 on my Vm host right now, that works fine with the TX2, will have my Xavier on monday and thinking off updating the vm to ubuntu 18, will that still work with my TX2 (unofficaly) ?
I want to keep the ability to use bothe boards from the host :/

@S4WRXTTCS
Sorry for jumping into you thread…

@JerryChang

I haven’t been able to reproduce it, but once it happens again I’ll get that info.

@Spawn32

With a VM wouldn’t you want to create another one specifically for the Xavier? I used to use my training development machine as the host, but I learned a hard lesson when a Jetpack for the TX2 messed something up. This was before I was using containers for everything.

A VM is never “supported”. It doesn’t mean a VM won’t work, but you might have some VM work ahead of you.

On the other hand, JetPack, in previous versions, was not intended for Ubuntu 18.04. You might get parts of an older JetPack release to work on 17.04 or 18.04. JetPack4 was not yet released for other (non-Xavier) platforms, but presumably when JetPack4+ (non-developer preview) is actually released to include other Jetson models I suspect 18.04 will work from that point forward for any Jetson which can be flashed (this might mean a new JetPack4 is released with an older L4T on a TX2, or perhaps both the TX2 and Xavier will both have an L4T R31+). I am only guessing.

yeah, in my case Vmware work out of the box with jetpack 3.2, never had any problem ( is on ubuntu 17) :)

I’ve seen this a few times too. Doesn’t seem to bother anything. Its been at boot time when I’ve seen it.