Ubuntu 20.04.4 - HP ZBook Studio G8 Mobile WorkStation - driver fails

Hi @generix

Many thanks for your solution, after 2 days now the driver work :)

By the way, I tried with the following kernels (5.8.0.50, 5.11.0.44, 5.15.0.23) but they don’t recognize the wifi and the touchpad. Finally, I installed the 5.10.0-1044-oem kernel from the ‘proposed’ repo.

Here, as a note to my future self and anyone else who has the same problem, are the clean and organized steps I followed to set up the driver:

• Check the certified system (Certified hardware | Ubuntu) for HP ZBook Studio 15.6 Inch G8 Mobile Workstation PC and identify the provided kernel: “This system was tested with 20.04 LTS, running the 5.10.0-1044-oem kernel”

• Enable the ‘proposed’ repository (Software & Updates > Developer Options)

• Remove NVIDIA driver

sudo apt purge nvidia-*
    sudo apt autoremove
    sudo apt autoclean

• Install the 5.10.0-1044-oem kernel

sudo apt install linux-image-5.10.0-1044-oem linux-headers-5.10.0-1044-oem

• Blacklist NVIDIA nouveau driver (adapted from How to disable/blacklist Nouveau nvidia driver on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa Linux)

sudo bash -c "echo blacklist nouveau > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"
    sudo bash -c "echo options nouveau modeset=0 >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia-nouveau.conf"

# update all kernels
    sudo update-initramfs -u -k all

• Restart and boot using the new kernel (Advanced option for Ubuntu > Ubuntu, with Linux 5.10.0.1044-oem)

• Uninstall previous kernels

List all installed kernel using dpkg --list | grep linux-image

sudo apt purge linux-image-5.13* linux-headers-5.13*
    sudo apt autoremove
    sudo apt autoclean

sudo update-grub

• Install NVIDIA driver

Optionally, list the recommended driver using ubuntu-drivers devices

sudo apt install nvidia-driver-510

• Modify GRUB to show “Ubuntu, with Linux 5.10.0.1044-oem” as the first option in the menu

Edit the file /boot/grub/grub.cfg and replace the first menu entry (menuentry 'Ubuntu' ...) with the “Ubuntu, with Linux 5.10.0.1044-oem” menu entry (menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 5.10.0.1044-oem menu' ...)

3 Likes