Ubuntu 20.04: Issues with TU116M [GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Mobile] on a HP Pavilion (AMD® Ryzen 7 3750h with radeon vega mobile gfx × 8 )

Hi,
I’m having at least 2 issues with the mentioned graphic card.
The most important one is that I cannot set a proper backlight (the screen has very low brightness and I’m having difficulties). I’ve tried all solutions I’ve found (from xbacklight to “esoteric” .conf files), but the brightenss remains low.

The second issue is that, connecting an external monitor to hdmi port, nothing happens (the monitor is not being recognized).

I’ve also tried to create a proper configuration under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/. I managed to change Driver “modesetting” in 10-amdgpu.conf (but nothing changed), I wasn’t able to add Option “PrimaryGPU” “Yes” in 10-nvidia.conf (with this added, the login screen doesn’t appear and all I see is a blank screen, I can only log in using standard text mode).

Here is my report log: nvidia-bug-report.log (1.8 MB)

Thank you. :)

I have an update: issue is not solved yet, but at least I manage to get a usable backlight by adding “acpi_backlight=video” option in grub for GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT

The big problem now remains that no external monitor is recognized when plugging one on the HDMI output.

Finally got it working - but not with ubuntu.

I installed Manjaro and then I followed instructions from this post: