I have the following components in my custom-built PC:
- ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 4090 OC
- Intel Core i7-13700F
- MSI MAG B760 Tomahawk WiFi DDR4 Gaming Motherboard
- G.Skill Trident Z RGB Series 64GB DDR4 3600 Memory
- SilverStone Technology HELA 1200R Platinum ATX 3.0 / PCIe Gen 5 1200W Fully Modular Power Supply
I cannot successfully use the machine after installing either the 525.125.06 Nvidia driver with CUDA 12.0 or the 535.54.03 driver with CUDA 12.2. I have used the non “-open” driver version. The driver appears to be installed correctly, as it is detected with nvidia-smi. However, within 12 minutes of using the machine, it reboots randomly. The screen goes black, the monitor turns blue as the PC is off, then it turns back on and goes to the Ubuntu log in page. This then keeps repeating, happening within a minute or a few minutes. I am not doing anything graphics-heavy, just downloading basic applications such as Chrome or surfing the web. The Linux kernel installed is 5.15.0-76-generic.
It is a new machine, and I flashed Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS via USB. The default driver installed is the Nouveau display driver, xserver-xorg-video-nouveau. This reboot issue was not occurring until I installed one of the Nvidia drivers, 525/535. I am hoping to use Ubuntu 20.04 and not 22.04. I have re-flashed Ubuntu 20.04 twice to install the drivers clean.
I have attempted the installs using the following methods:
- Ubuntu → Software & Updates/Additional Drivers
- downloaded the .run file from the Nvidia website and called sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-$DRIVER_VERSION.run
- CLI with sudo apt install nvidia-driver-XXX
I am attaching the nvidia-bug-report.log file below. Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.
nvidia-bug-report.log (2.3 MB)