Ubuntu 22.04, driver doesn't load

Hi,

So I have Quattro RTX 3000 mobile and run Ubuntu 22.04.

No matter how hard I try, I can’t get the system to recognize the driver, although it installs successfully.

Attached is the bug report, and here’re some outputs of different commands:

nvidia-settings:

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

(nvidia-settings:6930): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 12:14:24.172: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

** (nvidia-settings:6930): CRITICAL **: 12:14:24.173: ctk_powermode_new: assertion ‘(ctrl_target != NULL) && (ctrl_target->h != NULL)’ failed

ERROR: nvidia-settings could not find the registry key file or the X server is
not accessible. This file should have been installed along with this
driver at
/usr/share/nvidia/nvidia-application-profiles-key-documentation. The
application profiles will continue to work, but values cannot be
prepopulated or validated, and will not be listed in the help text.
Please see the README for possible values and descriptions.

nvidia-smi:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

lspci |grep VGA:

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics] (rev 05)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU106GLM [Quadro RTX 3000 Mobile / Max-Q] (rev a1)

lsmod | grep nvidia:

nvidiafb 53248 0
vgastate 20480 1 nvidiafb
fb_ddc 16384 1 nvidiafb
i2c_algo_bit 16384 2 nvidiafb,i915
i2c_nvidia_gpu 16384 0

xrandr --listproviders:

Providers: number : 1
Provider 0: id: 0x45 cap: 0x9, Source Output, Sink Offload crtcs: 3 outputs: 4 associated providers: 0 name:modesetting

What I’ve tried:

1. Installing different versions of the driver (both manually and through apt) starting from 470 (yes, always a “clean” install after purging all of the components)
  2. Installing different versions of the kernel
  3. Removing blacklist files and updating intitframs

The “best” result I’ve ever managed to get with

dkms status
nvidia/520.56.06, 5.19.0-17.2-liquorix-amd64, x86_64: installed

Was a black screen on boot. It was also the same with 5.15 kernel and 520 driver combo.

Booting into a different kernel works fine, but as you can see in the outputs above, it doesn’t recognize that the driver has been installed.

Maybe it has something to do with the kernel? Because currently Ubuntu lists 5.14 as an OEM kernel, and all of these drivers automatically install 5.15 as a dependency.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (140.5 KB)

I guess the 5.14 oem (afaik it’s outdated) kernel doesn’t have any headers available so the driver doesn’t compile. Please either switch to the stock 5.15 kernel or the liquorix kernel that you also have installed.
Furthermore, you have the wrong driver package “-open” installed which doesn’t work without enabling it with module option, please switch to the normal driver package in Software&Updates.

I am using a kernel of 5.15

➜  ~ uname -r
5.15.0-53-generic

However, very similar issue…

➜  ~ nvidia-settings

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

(nvidia-settings:3851): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 20:24:29.832: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

** (nvidia-settings:3851): CRITICAL **: 20:24:29.834: ctk_powermode_new: assertion '(ctrl_target != NULL) && (ctrl_target->h != NULL)' failed

ERROR: nvidia-settings could not find the registry key file or the X server is not accessible. This file should have been installed along with this
       driver at /usr/share/nvidia/nvidia-application-profiles-key-documentation. The application profiles will continue to work, but values cannot
       be prepopulated or validated, and will not be listed in the help text. Please see the README for possible values and descriptions.

➜  ~ nvidia-smi
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

➜   ~ dkms status
nvidia/510.85.02, 5.15.0-53-generic, x86_64: installed

Solution found here https://askubuntu.com/questions/1437330/22-04-1-nvidia-drivers-suddenly-stopped-working . Thank you …