Ubuntu 22 LTS not able to extend screens from USB docking station

ubuntu 22 LTS not able to extend screens from USB docking station

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (550.9 KB)
adding the nvidia bug report

Hello @kirani and welcome to the NVIDIA developer forums.

You need to provide a little bit more detail than this.

What kind of System are you running, meaning what GPU, CPU, Laptop(?) etc.?

Most importantly, what kind of USB docking station? Not every docking station replicates internal GPU signals.

Thanks!

Hello,

i am running Linux Ubuntu 22.04 LTS on an ASUS TUF Dash F15 laptop with GeForce RTX 3060 Mobile
the docking station is a Trendnet. It actually works on a different ASUS TUF ( older version) laptop of a colleague of mine.
Same docking works on a Lenovo laptop using Ubuntu.
the Same docking station was ok on WIndows

Please find attached the nvidia bug report too.

Thank you

REgards,
Karim

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (551 KB)

Your Docking station seems to be the type that uses Internal Display Hardware to act as an additional Display output.

I found the lsusboutput in the log you supplied:

/usr/bin/lsusb

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 17e9:4307 DisplayLink USB3.0 Dual Video Dock

That means the NVIDIA GPU is independent from this display adapter.

A few things you could check:

• In BIOS check if the internal GPU (Intel) is disabled. This could cause Linux to not use external display adapter like the dock
  • In the nvidia-setting check if you have PRIME performance mode selected. This could also cause external display adapters to be disabled
  • Check with your colleagues what BIOS and Xorg configurations they have to try and see possible differences.

Some built-in GPUs in laptops can use Thunderbolt to send display signals. That means if the specification of your Laptop explicitly states that it supports “DisplayPort through Thunderbolt”, you can attach a USB-C to DisplayPort adapter and use it as an additional Display output. There are some Docking stations that do support that as well, but they have to explicitly list that in their specifications as well.

I hope this helps!

hello,
thanks for your reply.
this is working now, for some reason i have disabled the secure boot and checked all your recommendations as well using the same docking station

Thank you

1 Like

Great to hear it!

Probably the kernel module needed for the docking station was not authenticated with Ubuntu and prevented it from being loaded. That can happen with the NVIDIA driver as well, but I didn’t see any indication of that issue in the logs.

Anyway, good that it works for you now!

Thank you !

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.