Ubuntu - Dual GPU Configuration - Black Screen with X

Hey All!

I am looking for help configuring dual GPUs on Zorin (Ubuntu 20.04). I have followed quite a bit of documentation and have gotten close I just cant figure out the last part.

System:
I have a GTX 1060 that has 4 displays working and running on it
I have a Quadro 410 that is running, recognized by the system, with one DP monitor connected

Steps:
I started out creating a second X desktop configuration but quickly learned that wasnt going to work. My monitor would light up with a black background and an X cursor when I moved to it.

I deleted all of that and this post here was the most helpful after I added the kernel parameter

With it, when I reboot, all 5 screen light up as they are loading but upon boot only my 4 monitors actually work. Loading the NVIDIA X Server Settings again shows the 5 monitor but that it is disabled.

I have also been trying to piece together info from:

and

If anyone has any additional help that would be fantastic!

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (727.3 KB)

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/ubuntu-20-04-not-able-to-run-6-7-monitor-setup-with-one-x-screen/200904/2?u=generix

THE MAN THE MYTH THE LEGEND GENERIX THEMSELVES!!! NO WAY!

Yup. You solved it. It was that last step that I was missing. Thank you so much it worked immediately.

For anyone else, here is the summary:

• delete xorg.conf
  • set kernel parameter nvidia-drm.modeset=1
  • check two nvidia providers are avalable
  • run xrandr --setprovideroutputsource NVIDIA-G0 NVIDIA-0 && xrandr --auto

I also then installed arandr which allowed me a gui to manage where the monitor was located in my setup.

Thanks for the help generix. I have no idea how I missed that one singular post that had my answer (typical) lol.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.