Ubuntu with Nvidia external monitor 60 FPS slow

The problem

When connecting an external monitor DELL (60FPS) via HDMI and disabling the notebook display, the screen becomes laggy.
When I use extend mode, the external monitor + notebook display does not have laggy, but disabling the notebook display the problem starts.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (361.7 KB)

If i see this correctly, you have a NVIDIA GPU NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (TU117-A) graphics chip.

What machine are you using?
Which Ubuntu version?

I assume you are running wayland.

I am also experiencing issues with stuttering and laggy performance under wayland. Also with a TU117 chip (Nvidia Quadro T2000). Running X11 instead of Wayland works without any lags.

Hi @fhortner, I’m use:

Notebook Avell A52 HYB:

• |GPU| GeForce® GTX 1650 (4GB GDDR6) |
  • |CPU| Intel® Core™ i5-12450H Alder Lake - 3.3GHz, Turbo Max 4.4GHz 12MB cache |
  • |Memory| 16GB [2x 8GB - Dual Channel] Memory DDR4 (3200 MHZ) |
  • |Display|15.6" FHD WVA (1920x1080p) - 144Hz / Matte / Contrast: 800:1 / Brightness 250 cd/m² |

System:

• Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS x86_64
  • Wm: i3

To change the display I use this command: xrandr --output eDP-1 --off --output HDMI-1-0 --auto

The system run by xorg:

Ok, so no wayland issue here.

I would understand if the extended mode would be laggy, due to different refresh rates. But external monitor alone being laggy is wired.

May I ask, are you experiencing something similar like this on your external monitor in extended mode?

The same problem the laggy on the external monitor occurs in ubuntu without i3 (only when I use only the external monitor).
I work with the same monitor via a dock when I connect HDMI cable and connect usb-c on macbook pro. I do not have this problem when disabling macbook display.

So same issue on a completely different machine (macbook pro) without nvidia hardware?
Maybe the dock is the issue?

I do not use the dock on my Linux notebook, in macbook I don´t have any problem with an external monitor.

I understood that you have the issue on macbook when connected to dock via usb-c.

No, I’m sorry.
English is not my native language.

no worries ;)
I’m sorry I can not help solving the issue

No problem, I’ll try reinstalling nvidia drivers.

After reinstalling the Nvidia driver and testing configurations I found a solution:

When I use on-demand mode and use only an external monitor the laggy starts.
But if using nvidia by prime-select the external monitor works correctly, great.

I did not understand because in on-demand and use extend mode (external monitor + notebook display) the laggy is non-exists.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.