I am having a series of difficulties booting the Jetson Orin Nano. I have flashed an SD card, following the instructions here: Initial Setup Guide for Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit | Jetson AI Lab . I have tried multiple SD cards. I have also tried multiple times with the Nvidia SDK manager, and run into a series of errors.
Flash SD card approach:
The device boots, then lots of setup messages appear on the screen. Finally the device stops after showing some errors:
[FAILED] Failed to start Configure bootloader service.
See 'systemctl status nv-14t-bootloader-config.service' for details
[ OK ] Finished Nvidia specific early first-boot script.
[ OK ] Started nvfancontrol servce.
[FAILED] Failed to start End-user configuration after initial OEM installation.
See 'systemctl status nv-oem-config.service' for details.
[ OK ] Reached target OEM Configuration.
Other flash/boot attempts concluded with the screen going blank except for a single underscore in the top left. I have tried various other Jetpack versions. 5.x seems to lead to a blank screen, without even an underscore.
Nvidia SDK Manager approach:
After much difficulty getting the tool to work on Windows, and trying 3 different Ubuntu versions, the closest I get is failing with this message:
The connected Jetson device is not ready for flash.
The issue is likely related to a non-optimal USB connection
...
I have tried with multiple USB cables and SD cards. I have exported the latest logs, and will attach the zip.
I note that when I connect the Jetson, it pops up in the SDK Manager and prompts me to select a version of Jetson Orin Nano: P3767-0003, or 8Gb developer kit P3767-0005. Mine is an 8Gb developer kit, but when I try to find a model number on the board itself, I find “Model: P3766”. This was not an option.
Logs: SDKM_logs_JetPack_6.2.2_Linux_for_Jetson_Orin_Nano_[8GB_developer_kit_version]_2026-05-13_10-42-02.zip (2.2 MB)
Any advice would be appreciated! I don’t have a lot more time to put into this, we will have to use a different device if I can’t resolve this soon.
*** Please note that this reply is generated by LLM automatically ***
I’d be happy to help you troubleshoot the issues you’re experiencing with your Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit.
Firstly, I’d like to acknowledge that you’ve tried multiple SD cards, Jetpack versions, and even different USB cables, which suggests that the issue might not be related to the peripherals.
From the logs you’ve attached, it seems that the device is booting up, but then stops after showing some errors. This could be due to a variety of reasons, including:
- Incorrect Boot Order: Make sure that the UEFI SD Device is set as the first boot option in the Boot Manager. You can check this by pressing the ESCAPE key during boot and navigating to the Boot Manager.
- Corrupted SD Card Image: Try re-flashing the SD card with the Jetpack image using Etcher or the
dd command. Make sure to download the correct image for your device (Jetson Orin Nano 8GB Developer Kit, P3767-0005).
- Incompatible Jetpack Version: You’ve tried multiple Jetpack versions, but it’s possible that the version you’re using is not compatible with your device. Try using the latest Jetpack version (5.1.4 or 6.0) and see if that resolves the issue.
- Hardware Issues: Although you’ve tried multiple SD cards and USB cables, it’s possible that there’s a hardware issue with your device. Try using a different power source or checking the device’s temperature to see if it’s overheating.
Regarding the model number on the board, P3766 is not a valid model number for the Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit. The correct model numbers are P3767-0003 (4GB) and P3767-0005 (8GB).
To troubleshoot further, I’d recommend trying the following:
- Try booting with a different SD card: Use a different SD card to rule out any issues with the current card.
- Check the device’s serial console: Connect to the device’s serial console using a USB-to-TTL serial cable and see if you can get any error messages or debug information.
- Try booting with a minimal kernel: Try booting the device with a minimal kernel to see if that resolves the issue.
- Contact NVIDIA Support: If none of the above steps resolve the issue, I’d recommend contacting NVIDIA support for further assistance.
In comparison to other devices, the Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit has a similar setup process to other Jetson devices, such as the Jetson Xavier NX. However, the Orin Nano has some unique features, such as its smaller form factor and lower power consumption.
I hope this helps you troubleshoot the issues with your Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit. If you have any further questions or need more assistance, feel free to ask.
*** Please give the thumbs up if you get answers you like. Or provide feedback to help us improve the answer. ***
I have checked everything you suggested, apart from the serial console. I contacted nvidia support after posting this, and their first reply was to recommend I come back here. So here I am.
If there’s a human out there who might see anything useful in the logs, please help!
Hi,
Have you put your device in recovery mode?
Please dump the result using lsusb after device in recovery mode.
Thanks
Thanks for the reply :) Here’s the output from lsusb:
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 004: ID 04f3:0c7e Elan Microelectronics Corp. ELAN:ARM-M4
Bus 003 Device 007: ID 145f:0359 Trust Trust YVI+
Bus 003 Device 006: ID 0955:7523 NVIDIA Corp. APX
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0bda:b85c Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Bluetooth Radio
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0408:534c Quanta Computer, Inc. HP HD Camera
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Possibly relevant: I note it’s plugged into a USB3.0 port, but SDK Manager shows ‘USB Specification: 2.00’. This is the case even if I change cable, change port, or even use a usb-C to usb-C cable.
Hi,
Some questions to confirm:
- Is your ubuntu a native or a virtual machine?
Thanks
I have just managed to boot the Jetson.
I think it was choice of image that solved it. This time, I used the image found here: JetPack SDK | NVIDIA Developer, under the heading “For Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit currently running JetPack 6.x”, even though this is a first time boot.
For future readers, if Balena Etcher “fails”, just try it a few more times and eventually it may work. Sometimes it leaves the SD card in a state that the SD Formatter can’t detect it any more. You can use Rufus to “unflash” it and try again.
It is completely unclear which image to use, or why the other images did not work. Neither of the “getting started” tutorials for the Orin Nano link to this image. (Initial Setup Guide for Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit | Jetson AI Lab) (Jetson Orin Nano Developer Kit Getting Started Guide | NVIDIA Developer)
And I still have no clue what was wrong with the SDK Manager approach. I ended up at the same nebulous error both on native Ubuntu 22, and the WSL-based windows app.