Upgrade fom NVIDIA Driver 460 to 470 or 510 results in lagging desktop environment on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Laptop GPU

Hello,

Since I’ve installed the latest NVIDIA-driver update, my system will regularly freeze for about 10-20 seconds when using the NVIDIA-driver. "prime-select intel"resolves the situation, as well as just uninstalling the NVIDIA driver.
This issue is present with the 5.13 or the 5.11 kernel active on Linux Mint 20.3. Even when preforming a clean install with just installing the 5.11/5.13 kernel and the NVIDIA 470 or 510 driver will cause this behavior.

Bug report when on “prime-select intel” (kernel 5.13):
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (124.2 KB)

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (265.1 KB)
Bug report generated right before a system lock-up occured, on kernel 5.11.

Update: it looks like the system freezes up permanently now.

Please check if setting kernel parameter
nvidia-drm.modeset=1
helps.

It unfortunately doesn’t help, I have a new bug report, generated when the crash occurred.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (314.3 KB)

I generated the bug report below after the freeze occurred. This time all I did is boot up Linux Mint 20.3, and resizing the terminal window.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (265.3 KB)

This rather looks like a bug in the amdgpu driver

[     8.712] (EE) AMDGPU(G0): drmmode_do_crtc_dpms cannot get last vblank counter

Driver 470 added some features regarding prime with amdgpu so this might have triggered it.
A workaround might be switching to on-demand mode, otherwise you could try upgrading the kernel to see if this was fixed meanwhile.

1 Like

Thank you! I don’t get when I’m on prime-select nvidia, the amdgpu driver causes an error… Thanks anyway, I’ll try your suggestions and let you know if it works!

The amd gpu is driving the internal screen, so the nvidia driver needs to control the amd. When the amd hangs, the nvidia driver will hang as well.

1 Like

Ah okay!!! That makes perfect sense. Thank you!

Update: When I’m not using my internal display, the system doesn’t freeze or crash! Thanks for pointing me to this! I will mainly use my external display until this issue is resolved!