Upgraded UBUNTU on TX2 and now menu and icons disappeared

I just received the TX2 in the mail, was able to get Ubuntu running. The first thing I did when I booted into the network was update all the Ubuntu patches using the Ubuntu Update feature available through their menu. I lost all icons and the menu. I don’t know what to do now, since I now own a brick :-( has any of you experienced this before?

what if you reflash the OS from a newest Jetpack using a Host PC?
If you performed dist-upgrade it was not a brilliant idea.
But If you execute

apt-get update

or

apt-get upgrade

that should be fine.

What is the return of

lsb_release -a

?

in case you have

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS
Release:	16.04
Codename:	xenial

you may investigate the soft restoration, but if you have different numbers - consider rescuing data and re flashing the device

<> to compound the pathetic cleverness,this is my wife’s TX2 that I just bricked ;-)

the [lsb_release -a] returned:
No LSB modules are available
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 16.04.4 LTS
Release 16.04
Codename: xenial

I don’t have an ubuntu host to reflash the OS, thinking about creating a dual partition on a PC. If I did this, I plan to use my PCand not my wife’s ;-)

Do you know where to find steps for soft restoration?

Thanks for your help

There is a case where some package upgrades (not many, but on first apt-get upgrade chances are high you will hit this…please don’t stop upgrading though) will break libglx.so.

By “break” I mean it will replace the NVIDIA version with the Nouveau or Mesa version. Run this command and see if libglx.so shows as failed (this file exists in two places…it will be bad in one place, and good in the other):

sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release

You can use “sudo” and copy the “good” one to the location of the “bad” one (e.g., use ssh or serial console). This is a case where the system is actually up and running fine for everything but the GUI…it isn’t really bricked. It is actually hard to truly brick a Jetson…a fresh flash can take care of most problems if it gets that serious. The GUI not running is often mistaken for the operating system not running.

Does logging in as nvidia/ubuntu shows the same ?

After a big upgrade in R28.1 (was in unusual conditions, though), I got similar things, but logging as other ubuntu/nvidia and rebooting it finally went ok.

sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release|grep libglx.so
shows both libraries as OK

I go straight into the desktop, no option to switch user to th recommended ubuntu/nvidia

I only have Chromium and can launch a terminal

my windows are missing the minimize, maximize, and close controls

I could install ubuntu on my chromebook, but could not get it to do a hard restore

I am trying to find info on a soft restore

When you launch a terminal what do you get from “whoami”? It seems to be auto-login.

Does this work, and if not (after giving password), what is the failure message?

sudo ls

What is shown from:

df -H -t ext4