Video Decode Support for Nvidia A4000

We are creating a videowall and leveraging Nvidia professional cards to display many simultaneous h264 streams to multiple monitors. We want to leverage Nvidia Mosaic to display to four monitors per system (with one GPU per system). We are comparing the Quadro RTX4000 vs Nvidia A2000 vs Nvidia A4000.

Few Questions:

1. I see on the Nvidia Video Codec SDK page the TU104 chip decode performance is noted, but what are the details for the GA104? I do not see data for the GA104.

2. The RTX4000 shows 2 decode units here, how does the decode compare to the one decode unit in the A2000 and A4000?

3. Since the RTX4000 (TU104) has two decode units, and the Tesla T4 (TU104) both have 2 decode units each, do they have the same decode performance (frames/sec at same resolution)?

4. If we use the RTX4000 to power four outputs concurrently, can we leverage a VirtualLink adapter to power the fourth display and leverage a mosaic arrangement with all four outputs?

Hi. Any help on this topic would be much appreciated. We have a purchasing decision that depends on this information that’s currently in a holding state.

Hello @wall_sky and welcome to the NVIDIA developer forums!

Sorry for the delay in response. I will pass on your questions to the experts and try to get back to you as soon as possible.

Hello @wall_sky, sorry for the delay, we are (significantly) late on publishing Ampere data on the web but are working on this as we speak. Ampere has very similar decoding performance vs Turing with a slight advantage around 10%. So RTX4000 would perform around 10% slower than RTX A5000 and RTX A6000 which have 2 decoders but almost twice faster than A2000 and A4000. And yes indeed, RTX4000 has similar performance to T4. I don’t know the answer for VirtualLink but will ask.

1 Like

Thank you for the valuable information. Ok I will wait for the VirtualLink answer as this is critical for the solution to drive four monitors in Mosaic.

@wall_sky I had confirmation that a Virtual Link adapter can be used indeed as fourth output. However, the Virtual Link connector needs to be the same resolution and refresh rate as the displays attached to the other Display Port outputs to be able to create a Mosaic display across the 4 outputs. Ideally the Virtual Link display should be the exact same make and model as Display Port displays.
If the display attached to the Virtual Link port is different geometry (resolution and refresh rate) than the Display Port displays then Mosaic will not be possible.
If you have identical displays across all 4 ports and you get into difficulties creating Mosaic because the Virtual Port looks different and may have an adapter, you can force an EDID captured from the Display Port ports on the Virtual Link port which frequently solves that kind of problem.
I hope this answers all of your questions :)

1 Like

Thank you so much! This answers all my questions. I really appreciate your help and time.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.