Visualization Bounding Box Image using script for offline generation replicator


I’m using a custom offline generation to generate the synthetic data using replicator, however they only generate .npy and .json data for bounding boxes.
I want the bounding boxes data to be the .png images. Therefore, I tried to visualize it using codes with tutorial that I found here:

However, I encounter some problem only on bounding boxes visualization. The generated rectangle was not in correct places.

The boxes should be on TV, tables, etc with different color, but the bounding boxes detect different places with the same colors.
I appreciate if any of you could help me with this. Thank you :D

Hello @putri.riska! I’ve contacted the dev team for some assistance in answering your questions!

Hi Wendy,
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Could you help me out with visualizing 3D bounding boxes too?
I really appreciate it if you can.

1 Like

Hi @putri.riska! I just wanted to let you know that the dev team is investigating this. I’ve asked for an update from the team!

1 Like

Hi @putri.riska , did you assign different prims with different semantic labels? They will be different colors only if they have different semantic labels. Also, what kind of bbox data are you using? I just tested on my end and I think the visualization script works. Maybe there is some bug in the bbox data part.

Hi @jiehanw
I solved the issue. I used replicator generated bbox .npy data.
In the tutorial, it was written like this:

def colorize_bbox_2d(rgb_path, data, id_to_labels, file_path):

    rgb_img =
    colors = [data_to_colour(bbox["semanticId"]) for bbox in data]
    fig, ax = plt.subplots(figsize=(10, 10))
    for bbox_2d, color, index in zip(data, colors, range(len(data))): #this one is the issue
        labels = id_to_labels[str(index)]
        rect = patches.Rectangle(
            xy=(bbox_2d["x_min"], bbox_2d["y_min"]),
            width=bbox_2d["x_max"] - bbox_2d["x_min"],
            height=bbox_2d["y_max"] - bbox_2d["y_min"],

    plt.legend(loc="upper left")


I changed the for loop part into:

    for bbox in data:
        id = bbox["semanticId"]
        color = data_to_colour(id)
        labels = id_to_labels[str(id)]
        rect = patches.Rectangle(
            xy=(bbox["x_min"], bbox["y_min"]),
            width=bbox["x_max"] - bbox["x_min"],
            height=bbox["y_max"] - bbox["y_min"],

and it works properly :D
Thank you for helping me out :D

1 Like

Ah thanks for spotting that!

I found that using the instance segmentation maps and a PyTorch Mask to BBox was the best way to extract bounding boxes.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.