VRR not working on Wayland with 2 screens [545.23.06]

Despite 545.23.06 driver reports Fixed a bug that prevented VRR (Variable Refresh Rate) from working with Wayland., it is not working on my dual monitor setup. I have to enable one monitor only.
I tested VRR with KDE Plasma Wayland and Sway.

4 Likes

Same issue here - using my monitor’s OSD, I can see Gsync isn’t working with 1 DisplayPort (Gsync) and 1 HDMI connected. Disable the HDMI monitor and Gsync works - although there’s a weird old-frame stutter/flicker (maybe because it’s an Xwayland app without explicit sync?).

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (959.1 KB)

I still haven’t seen any official statements about when NVidia will support rendering frames in the correct order on Wayland (VRR or not). I don’t think it’s possible until explicit sync is supported in Wayland.

Can confirm that VRR + xwayland patched with explicit sync works only when 1 monitor is active. If 2 or more are active at the same time then VRR is not working.
There is also this message in dmesg:

[ 98.717361] [drm:nv_drm_semsurf_fence_create_ioctl [nvidia_drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000800] Failed to create sync file from fence on ctx 0x00000003 [ 854.590907] [drm:nv_drm_semsurf_fence_create_ioctl [nvidia_drm]] *ERROR* [nvidia-drm] [GPU ID 0x00000800] Failed to create sync file from fence on ctx 0x00000003

Still happens on the 550 driver. Is there a bugfix coming soon for this? This is one of the main reasons to use Wayland over xorg.

Just wanted to mention a workaround for this that some people might find useful.

Although VRR only works when 1 display output is active, you can at least control that with a little script that toggles the specific output on and off as needed.

For example, on my set up I am using HDMI-A-1 as my main output and DP-3 as my second output. So before launching Steam/gamescope, I can run the following (with sudo) to disable the DP-3 output, which allows VRR to function correctly on HDMI-A-1:

echo off > /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-3/status

And then when I’m done just re-enable with:

echo on > /sys/class/drm/card0-DP-3/status

Gonna bump this. Hoping to see this solved for the upcoming 555 driver release.

1 Like

Unfortunately no and even worse I still get this very annoying issue Monitors literally stutter when VRR/G-SYNC is enabled

@thesword53 To fix your stuttering use “Automatic” adaptive sync rather than “Always”.

And unfortunately, VRR is still not working with 2+ displays enabled on Wayland.

1 Like

The issue happens regardless adaptive sync option I set.