Vulkan validation error when launching in Nsight

With ‘Collect Vulkan trace’ enabled in Nsight 2020.1.1, I have the Vulkan validation error:

ERROR(validation): [0][VUID-vkGetDeviceQueue-queueIndex-00385] : vkGetDeviceQueue: queueIndex (=1) is not less than the number of queues requested from queueFamilyIndex (=0) when the device was created (i.e. is not less than 1). The Vulkan spec states: queueIndex must be less than the number of queues created for the specified queue family index when device was created, via the queueCount member of the VkDeviceQueueCreateInfo structure (https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.1-extensions/html/vkspec.html#VUID-vkGetDeviceQueue-queueIndex-00385)

I do not have this error when launching from Visual Studio 2017, nor when launching my app as standalone .exe.

I tried adding one more queue when creating the device with vkCreateDevice by passing:

{sType=VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_DEVICE_CREATE_INFO (3) pNext=0x0000000000000000 flags=0 ...}    VkDeviceCreateInfo
    sType    VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_DEVICE_CREATE_INFO (3)    VkStructureType
    pNext    0x0000000000000000    const void *
    flags    0    unsigned int
    queueCreateInfoCount    2    unsigned int
    pQueueCreateInfos    0x000002ce3e8eccb0 {sType=VK_STRUCTURE_TYPE_DEVICE_QUEUE_CREATE_INFO (2) pNext=0x0000000000000000 flags=...}    const VkDeviceQueueCreateInfo *
    enabledLayerCount    0    unsigned int
    ppEnabledLayerNames    0x0000000000000000 {???}    const char * const *
    enabledExtensionCount    1    unsigned int
    ppEnabledExtensionNames    0x000002ce39552680 {0x00007ff625505420 "VK_KHR_swapchain"}    const char * const *
    pEnabledFeatures    0x0000000000000000 <NULL>    const VkPhysicalDeviceFeatures *

But same error.

Thank you!

Hi!

Thanks for your feedback.

Nsight Systems collects the queue information from Vulkan by calling each queue family on the physical device until a failure is reported - which is the same failure as the Vulkan validation layer is reporting. This message can be safely ignored.

In general, the Vulkan validation layer adds overhead of verification of various parameters and states, which might interfere with the correctness of values reported by profilers such as Nsight systems, so it is recommended to disable it when running with Nsight Systems.

If you are looking to validate or pinpoint issues with your application, consider using Nsight Graphics or Nsight Visual Studio edition prior to returning to Nsight Systems for performance optimization.

Hope this helps and that you continue using our tools!

Thank you!
I do know better than to profile in Debug. Back to Release I go.
Or just disable Vulkan validation.