Wheel robot with 4 joints can't move by Differential Controller using Action Graph and ROS

Hi everyone,

I followed Isaac Sim tutorials to recreate Turtlebot3 and control their 2 joints it using ROS Noetic by teleop_keyboard node. Until this everything is OK. Then I wanted to follow the same steps with another robot of 4 wheel then 4 joints. But occurred these warnings referring the 2 extra joints.

2022-09-22 23:35:56 [364,740ms] [Warning] [omni.graph.core.plugin] OmniGraph Warning: shape mismatch: value array of shape (1,2) could not be broadcast to indexing result of shape (1,4)
                   (from compute() at line 110 in /home/catolica/.local/share/ov/pkg/isaac_sim-2022.1.1/exts/omni.isaac.core_nodes/omni/isaac/core_nodes/ogn/nodes/OgnIsaacArticulationController.py)

Then I added another Differential Controller to vinculate the extra 2 joints but the same warnings appeared twice and the robot is stopped.

2022-09-22 23:35:56 [364,737ms] [Warning] [omni.graph.core.plugin] OmniGraph Warning: shape mismatch: value array of shape (1,2) could not be broadcast to indexing result of shape (1,4)
(from compute() at line 110 in /home/catolica/.local/share/ov/pkg/isaac_sim-2022.1.1/exts/omni.isaac.core_nodes/omni/isaac/core_nodes/ogn/nodes/OgnIsaacArticulationController.py)
2022-09-22 23:35:56 [364,740ms] [Warning] [omni.graph.core.plugin] OmniGraph Warning: shape mismatch: value array of shape (1,2) could not be broadcast to indexing result of shape (1,4)

And this is the joint tree of the robot

Has something similar happened to someone?

Hello. You don’t need a second Articulation controller. You have to form a vector of 4 values and feed it to the controller input.

I have same problem. anyone this solve it?

Thanks for the advise @pme1976 but I’ve tried with a vector of 4 values feeding “Make array” but the problem and warning remains.

OmniGraph Warning: shape mismatch: value array of shape (1,2) could not be broadcast to indexing result of shape (1,4)

Or I have to feed Articulation controller “Joint names” with another element?

I think that warning appears because articulation controller really have only 2 outputs: left joint and right joint. There are 2 extra joints that “cause the problem” and the purpose here is to replicate actions of left_joint to left_joint_2, same thing with the right_joint.

Does anyone could control 4 joints with this method (Action graph) or antoher using ROS?

In theory you should be able to either put in an array of 4 for velocity command and leave the joint names empty, or you also need to put in an array of 4 for the joint names with all four joints. If that doesn’t work, then can you please attach your usd file and we can take a look at it.

Thanks to everyone for your advise! it can be solved creating an array of shape (1,4) from the velocity command output of the Differential Controller. Using 2 “Array Index” to get the values of the velocity command and “Make Array” to create the new array [right_joint, left_joint, right_joint2, left_joint2] or the order that you want. Finally feeding the Articulation Controller.

2 Likes

scout_v2_09_29.usb.usd (8.0 KB)

I designed the same as you, but it didn’t work properly.

Could you tell me how you set the setting values?

Yep @donghoon.sejong . The parameters are the followings:

Screenshot from 2022-09-29 11-13-59

And some screens of the configurations:

I hope that helps