When will the Nvidia Drivers be released for macOS 10.15 Catalina?

If NVIDIA cards are your job’s lifeblood then I wouldn’t sacrifice it for an AMD card due to any unforeseen circumstance that could affect your workflow using such card. Do what I did by buying a Pascal card (a 1070 and a 1080TI are what I own) and stick w/ 10.13.6.

Its disappointing the Nvidia continues not to provide GPU drivers for Mojave or Catalina, and has put me in a position of looking to swap to an AMD card.

And here we have. The end of CUDA in macOS. At least we all know what we’ll have to do now. They should announce it a year ago. I think nvidia did not play fair here.

CUDA 10.2 (Toolkit and NVIDIA driver) is the last release to support macOS for developing and running CUDA applications. Support for macOS will not be available starting with the next release of CUDA.

As unfortunate as this might be, I guess the outcome should’ve been expected due to the state of events in relation to the absence of current NVIDIA drivers on Apple macOS Mojave and Catalina. So here’s a big fvck you to both Apple and NVIDIA, especially NVIDIA for pulling this stunt on the low like nobody was gonna find out. Guess my 1080 TI card will be the last time I support NVIDIA.

I am in the same wagon here. I always thought nvidia could release rtx drivers at least for High Sierra for those who purchased an RTX graphic card. Then NVIDIA went for longer than year if you count the beta releases of macs without saying anything. And I know Apple is not being friendly here but at least looks like Apple is trying to fight with third parties like Octane, Redshift, Autodesk, Adobe to bring software to support metal 2.

So the big question is what has been Nvidia fighting for? Yeah, you had it right. A huge F*** Nothing. So my last 1080 will be the last time I support NVIDIA too. Glad I did not bought any RTX model. 780Ti, 908 Ti and a 1080. Also as IT technician I wont recommend NVIDIA/CUDA to any company I know of. So good luck NVIDIA. I really hope you the best but I really hope CUDA becomes irrelevant or at least we have choices to use other options.

Well that is disappointing, but not surprising at this point.

As unfortunate as this might be, I guess the outcome should’ve been expected due to the state of events in relation to the absence of current NVIDIA drivers on Apple macOS Mojave and Catalina. So here’s a big fvck you to both Apple and NVIDIA, especially NVIDIA for pulling this stunt on the low like nobody was gonna find out. Guess my 1080 TI card will be the last time I support NVIDIA.
[/quote]

In the reading I have been doing, it looks to me to be more Apple’s fault than NVIDIA’s.

Yes, there was the issue of the faulty GPUs, but it isn’t like Apple has never had to recall products for its own design faults (e.g., batteries.)

I read multiple seemingly-independent accounts that Apple management was throwing up roadblocks or refusing to certify drivers or just not certifying them in any reasonable time frame.

With Catalina forcing most kernel extensions into user-space to be included with the app and signed by the app developer, it appears to have become impractical for NVIDIA to provide its own drivers.

Apple burned a lot of bridges with Catalina (e.g., no support for 32 bit binaries, no support for OpenGL, drivers pushed down into apps). It is certainly not the case that Apple “just made a few tweaks” and NVIDIA said “No, we refuse to go along!” – the indications that I find are that NVIDIA submitted drivers to Apple and Apple wouldn’t certify them.

I was holding off upgrading my iMac hoping that Apple and NVIDIA would work something out, but after the way that Apple has handled all of this, I am having doubts about getting another Mac.

This is really unfortunate for full stack AI development.

One of the great things about the Mac platform is support for Docker, Bash shell, node, python etc.

This lack of support means that it is now not possible to easily develop AI pipelines on my Mac laptop using the same tooling that I’d deploy into production Linux VMs.

Yes it’s possible to kluge through it using Windows but you lose so much on the full stack side.

Really disappointing and shows a total lack of vision.

Hopefully everyone will come to their senses soon.

1 Like

The real question is why would AMD cards work but Nvidia cards don’t? If it’s Apple’s fault that they “didn’t certify Nvidia drivers” then why did they certify AMD ones? Is it really just a blood feud between Apple and Nvidia with Apple giving Nvidia and customers the middle finger? That doesn’t make any sense.

1 Like

So glad I stumbled upon this dated thread while searching for a new GPU and Catalina drivers to complement with it. After reading all of your comments I can only conclude everything has been said about the availability of drivers and the situation as is. A big thanks to the community. It saved me a big pile of Euros, so no nVidia 980ti successor (2080ti) for me. 980ti eject, RX 5700 XT insert!

Need another developers to do driver for us. 😐

Seriously? Are you ready to financially support the “developer of new drivers”?