Why has there been 0 improvement on Linux in 4 years or more?

Well it looks like there has been improvement, not as much as I’d like but still.

My NVIDIA works really well in xfce with composting disabled and force composition pipeline enabled in NVIDIA settings (for all monitors). It does not work good however in any distro that uses Xorg and composting can’t be disabled (ex. Mint Cinnamon)

Other than that, Xorg is kind of outdated, so hopefully they complete Wayland support soon because Wayland seems to perform really well and by default.

I have exactly zero issues with NVIDIA Linux drivers but I don’t use Wayland because it’s only usable for KDE and Gnome users and I’m using XFCE.

There are zero lags, no issues with scrolling, nothing - everything here is silky smooth.

• removed by me

GBM - for Wayland improvements
Sway - a Wayland compositor
Unity Engine - a game engine (why do you use a nvidia gpu if you’re not gaming?)

The xfwm compositor is known-buggy with the nvidia driver, the common work around being turning off compositing and enabling forcecompositionpipeline in xorg config for anti-tear.

In general, please keep in mind that the driver can’t fix a broken window manager since it’s only a driver.

Ok thanks for letting me know what those things mean.

i had almost no issues on linux mint running xfce with drivers adding dxvk vulkan lutris no problems. then i had other issues with it. i switched to kubuntu and the plasma omg so much lag i could feel it so bad. after sometime i got sick of it so i decided to try out mate desktop instead i was unable to login to it sddm refused to login me. me still being a newer user of linux i was like fine tryed to wayland also would not log me in so i went back to plasma and there was no lag at all it was a perfect running system.

so i am not sure to me feels like maybe some files are missing when installing which is causing huge lag.

other then that i have had no issues

Xorg is in maintenance mode by now so don’t expect any ground-breaking changes there.
HDR is not working on linux, neither with Xorg nor Wayland. Wayland devs are working on implementing it, don’t hold your breath.
VRR is a nuisance, it either doesn’t work at all yet (intel) or is limited (amd,nvidia).
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=HDMI-Closed-Spec-Hurts-Open

Actually you were right. Enabling either force composition pipeline or full composition pipeline does remove the flickering in xfce with composting disabled. The trick was I had to do it for both my monitors. I thought that the composition options were globals for all monitors, so I was only really changing it on my primary monitor.

With this xfce is smooth as fk for the most part and defiantly something i can use. Mint xfce just happens to be my fav distro and desktop environment anyway due to its simplificty. The only beef I have with xfce is that the notifications from the log aren’t clickable. The other beef I had which was the lack of wndows-like taskbar buttons is easiely addressed through a program/panel item called dockbarx.

Aside from that I like xfce and gnome in second place. So I guess once they get wayland working fully I might switch to GNOME since it’s far more modern. My main issue with Fedora was that my cyberghost VPN wasn’t working properly while in debian-based distros it works just fine. And even then I have to edit the install script, otherwise it says it’s incompatible (it was made for mint 20, not mint 20.3, but it works like I said in debian-based).

Thank you very much for all your explanations btw.

I guess you were using nvidia-settings to enable forcecompositionpipeline. The problem with that is it has to be compatible with decade-old versions of the Xserver so it doesn’t take advantage of the easier config of modern xorg versions.
The most easy way to do a global config is not having/deleting xorg.conf and instead just creating a conditional snippet /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-comp.conf

Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "nvidia-comp"
    MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "ForceCompositionPipeline" "true"
EndSection

This will also not collide with hybrid graphics setups and gnome’s/kde’s monitor managers.