Window painted onto wrong desktop?

I’ve had a fairly long-standing problem with applications painting onto the desktop when their window was not supposed to be visible, i.e. after I switched virtual desktops.

Here’s a Chrome bug describing this behaviour that someone else raised: 350522 - chromium - An open-source project to help move the web forward. - Monorail

As mentioned in my comment there, this is not Chrome specific since I get the same behaviour with Steam. A recent screenshot: themel.com - the window is an xterm, and there’s a white line where I’m typing the command to capture the screenshot, but everything else got painted over by Steam running on another desktop.

X.Org X Server 1.15.1, driver version 331.79, NVIDIA GPU GeForce GTX 560 Ti (GF114)

Any hints on how to debug this further would be greatly appreciated.

Hi themel,

This sounds a lot like an interaction problem between a change in xserver 1.15 and one of our driver’s optimizations that I tracked down recently. The workaround for that should be available in the next release. When that comes out, please give it a try to see if the problem goes away.

Looks like it’s fixed in 340.24 with Xorg 1.16. I had this on 1.15 so I was stuck to 1.14 for some time. Today I updated to 1.16 and it works fine. Just wanted to eventually report it myself but I was too late. ^^