As for today my Windows (home and pro, both 64-bit) seems updated and the system itself does not seem to be a problem.
But… I was chasing bugs on my side for a week and in the end I realized it is the driver. OptiX behavior became unbearable with the last update to 430.86, but the same issue happened with earlier versions, just less likely.
Reverting to 419.67 removes all problems.
I am also developing in Linux, and I have the same bad results with 430. Later today I’ll switch to Linux and will try old drivers there.
For me the launch function never returns in some scenes. My workflow is: series of raytracing accumulation launches, followed by few 2D postprocessing and denoising launches and a final conversion to colors. Each such frame is displayed in a loop. The point is that problem can appear in any launch performing any operation, but only in the first 1-2 frames. This suggests a problem with some initialization. Couts put between launches can hide the problem, I guess it allows some time to finish something that is not synchronized well.
There are no exceptions from shaders, and no timeouts.
I did not manage to reproduce the problem in SDK samples (tried to loop launches, but everything works fine).
I tried this on GTX 1050 and GTX 1060.
Happy to provide more details if needed and get rid of this problem ASAP, since I am encouraging my users to keep drivers updated…