X-Plane on Fedora 17 (64 bit): installer segfaults in libnvidia-tls.so (solved)

Hi all,

There appears to be an issue with the 32-bit compatibility library “/lib/libnvidia-tls.so.310.19” that segfaults when trying to install the X-Plane 10 demo on 64 bit Fedora 17. The GDB backtrace is:

#0 0xf7bf8caa in _nv015tls () from /lib/libnvidia-tls.so.310.19
#1 0xf7f8d535 in ?? () from /lib/libGL.so.1

X-Plane 10 works fine with 32-bit Fedora 17. X-Plane also works with 64-bit Fedora 17 when first installing the 64-bit X-Plane binary with 32-bit Fedora 17 (check “beta” button in installer). It’s only the 32-bit X-Plane binary that doesn’t work in 64-bit Fedora. But using the 64-bit binary is only half the solution, because the other X-Plane binaries (installer/updater, Plane-Maker and Airfoil-Maker) are still 32-bit applications that segfault in libnvidia-tls on 64-bit Fedora 17 (this applications are running fine on 32-bit Fedora 17). It’s especially inconvenient to boot forth and back between 32-bit and 64-bit Fedora just to run the installer/updater :-)

Here are the steps to reproduce the problem with the X-Plane 10 demo:

1. Install Fedora 17 (64 bit)

2. yum update # required or there is a multi-lib miss-match
    yum install libXrandr.i686
    yum install mesa-libGLU.i686

3. install nvidia driver
    yum install kernel-devel kernel-headers gcc
    sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-310.19.run
    vi /etc/grub2/grub.conf # add “rdblacklist=nouveau”, remove “rgbh quiet”
    vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf # add “blacklist nouveau”
    reboot

4. Download x-plane.com → Downloads → Download the Linux demo

5. unzip X-Plane10DemoInstallerLinux.zip

6. ./X-Plane 10 Installer Linux → core dump

I’ll attach the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz for inspection once I figured out how to do that in this forum :-)

Any feedback is highly appreciated!

regards

Bernhard

EDIT: figured out how to add attachements - but I was confused that only image files are allowed and thought I have to rename the file. Now the bug report is there three times and I can remove them because I don’t have the permissions to do so …
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz.bmp (141 KB)

After re-installing 310.19, all 32-bit X-Plane binaries work as expected. Not sure what went wrong the first time …

Bernhard