Xavier NX Carrier Board (Connecttech Photon) unable to flash custom kernel

I am using a ConnectTech Photon carrier for a Xavier NX board, and would like to build a custom kernel to support a CSI camera. I am able to compile the kernel sources from ConnectTech for the carrier board, but when attempting to flash, I always get stuck here:

[  37.5837 ] Writing partition
[  37.5849 ] tegradevflash_v2 --write kernel 1_boot_sigheader.img.encrypt
[  37.5875 ] Bootloader version 01.00.0000
[  37.6025 ] Writing partition kernel with 1_boot_sigheader.img.encrypt
[  37.6030 ] 0000000074740204: E> NV3P_SERVER: Accessing offset 327933952 after boundary partition size 67108864
[  37.6042 ] 
[  37.6042 ] 

I can flash the board no problem when not building the kernel from scratch.

I am also able to flash a Xavier NX devkit when building the kernel (using the sources provided by NVIDIA).

The .conf files for the two boards don’t show any differences in the bootloader size partitions - what could I be doing wrong?

Here is how I am building my kernel:

# download L4T
# apply CTI BSP into the L4T directory based on Connecttech's instructions

export ARCH=arm64
export LOCALVERSION=-tegra
export CROSS_COMPILE=/gcc-linaro-7.3.1-2018.05-x86_64_aarch64-linux-gnu/bin/aarch64-linux-gnu-
make -C kernel/kernel-4.9/ mrproper
make -C kernel/kernel-4.9/  O=$KERNEL_OUT cti_tegra_defconfig
make -C kernel/kernel-4.9/  O=$KERNEL_OUT -j2 --output-sync=target Image
make -C kernel/kernel-4.9/  O=$KERNEL_OUT --output-sync=target dtbs
make -C kernel/kernel-4.9/  O=$KERNEL_OUT -j2 --output-sync=target modules
make -C kernel/kernel-4.9/  O=$KERNEL_OUT INSTALL_MOD_PATH=$KERNEL_MODULES_OUT modules_install 

# copy the files into my L4T dir
cp -rfv $KERNEL_OUT/build/arch/arm64/boot/Image $L4T_DIR/kernel/
cp -rfv $KERNEL_OUT/build/arch/arm64/boot/dts/*.dtb $L4T_DIR/kernel/dtb
sudo cp -arfv $KERNEL_OUT/modules/lib $L4T_DIR/rootfs/

# do apply_binaries
sudo ./apply_binaries.sh

# flash
sudo ./flash.sh -r -k kernel cti/Xavier-NX/photon-imx219 mmcblk0p1

Any help would be appreciated. I am using Jetpack 4.4 and L4T 32.4.3

Hello mprat!

Have you been in contact with our Tech Team? If you fill out our support form (found here) our team will help you troubleshoot, getting you up and running quickly.

Please let me know if you have any questions,
Jacki

I am in contact with someone at CTI, yes!

For this particular issue I figured out that I was using the wrong make tegra_defconfig command; when doing make cti_tegra_defconfig the kernel image was incredibly large (303MB), and then moving back to make tegra_defconfig and fixing a param in the .config I was able to flash the kernel - the image size was closer to 33MB which makes this possible.

That’s great to hear mprat! I’m happy our Tech Team was able to help get you up and running so quickly :)

What is the best way to submit a bug report or code patch for your tech team? The resolution was something I had to change with the provided kernel sources.

If you email the Tech Team member who helped you, they can walk you through the easiest steps :)