XAVIER NX MAC Address keeps changing

When I reboot my jetson, carrier board and som, my MAC address keeps changing. Is there a way for it to not keep changing its MAC Address??
I have assigned it a static IP, but my firewall routing is based on MAC and IP, so when the MAC changes, it breaks the firewall routing. Suggestions??

1 Like

This sounds a defect in module. When the board not able to get the mac address from module eeprom, it will generate a random one in every boot.

Please share me the boot up log from serial console.

https://elinux.org/Jetson/General_debug

Hi Wayne,
I just did a dmesg dump and a video of the boot… I don’t have the UART to USB to gte you the output from boot up log. I have ordered the device and will be here is a couple of days. Hopefully this can help.
dmesg_log.txt (151.6 KB)

Do you have nvidia devkit to try? Put this module back to nv devkit and see if the mac is still the random one.

If they are fine on devkit, then it is probably hardware design problem on your board.
Do you connect i2c to module eeprom? I see lots of i2c error from your dmesg.

BTW, I still need your bootloader log from uart. Dmesg only has kernel log.

I am using the SOM and aetina an810 carrier board. I’m going to reinstall the jetpack and see what happens to the mac address. I’ve CAN, I2C and GPIO connected so maybe it got goofed up with one of those settings.

So you don’t have a devkit there? If so, then please reflash it.

Also, remove the i2c device to see if any difference.

Wayne - everytime I try to refrlash the jetson, I get the following error:
JetPack_4.5.1_Linux_JETSON_XAVIER_NX/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/cvm.bin
01:45:37 INFO: Flash Jetson Xavier NX: — Error: Reading board information failed.
01:45:37 ERROR: Flash Jetson Xavier NX: command terminated with error
01:45:41 SUMMARY: NVIDIA Nsight Systems: Depends on failed component
Do I need to have it in recover mode connected in microUSB to reflash? Also, when it prompts for IP/UID/Pwd, the IP should be whats assigned by the USB (192.168.55.1) and uid/pwd should be the user name already on that jetson or should it be su and sudo pwd?

This sounds even the flash process not able to read the eeprom. Waiting for your log from uart.

Hi Wayne,
Please see attached UART output file.
Much appreciated.
xavier_nx_uart_output.txt (29.5 KB)

As my expectation. eeprom read failed. Where did this log dump from? The devkit or your custom board?

[0010.278] E> Error 892665857: Failed to get CVM EEPROM contents
[0010.284] E> Booting w/o MAC ddresses for WIFI, Bluetooth & Ethernet
[0010.290] E> Failed to get WIFI MAC address
[0010.294] E> Error 892665857: Failed to get CVM EEPROM contents
[0010.300] E> Booting w/o MAC ddresses for WIFI, Bluetooth & Ethernet
[0010.306] E> Failed to get Bluetooth MAC address
[0010.310] E> Error 892665857: Failed to get CVM EEPROM contents
[0010.316] E> Booting w/o MAC ddresses for WIFI, Bluetooth & Ethernet
[0010.322] E> Failed to get Ethernet MAC address

It’s a custom board Aetina an810 carrier board.

Do you have devkit to check this issue?

I’m trying to reflash it and that keeps failing as well. I’m using the nvidia sdk manager and reflash with latest JetPack and flash fails. Not sure if it’s because if the same issue.

Can you just reply my question?

Do you have nvidia development kit there?

No. I have nano on Aetina an110 board. I don’t have a Xavier or nano dev kit.

Ok, then do you have other jetson Nano/NX module there that can replace the problematic one?

Yes, I have a nano on an Aetina an810 which is working

Then this should be module issue. Please RMA that problematic module and see if you can get a new one.

What do you mean RMA?

Wayne, do you think this would be reason I can’t reflash it either? I was trying to download the latest JetPack and flash it hoping to reset if anything is wrong with any settings etc. but when I use the sdk manager to reflash it, it keeps failing on flash step.