About Flashing Jetson OS to Jetson Xavier NX emmc module

Hello, Everyone.

https://docs.nvidia.com/sdk-manager/install-with-sdkm-jetson/index.html
It says “Flashing to an external storage device is available for Jetson Developer Kits for Xavier and Orin modules, as of JetPack version 4.6. Select the external storage you would like to flash to (EMMC [default], SDCard, NVMe, USB, or Custom).”

If we say SDCard here, it will be the SDCard slot on the board, not the SDCard that goes into the SDCard slot on the module as shown in the image below.
As far as I know, the SDCard slot on the board is activated by modifying the device tree.
You must be able to activate this SDCard slot even before flashing the Jetson.
Isn’t flashing to SDCard possible as mentioned in the manual above?

Thank you.

We don’t support to flash a sdcard “on the carrier board”.
Only support flash sdcard “on the module”.

1 Like

Hello, @WayneWWW

Then, It is something wrong with manual.
It says

“Flashing to an external storage device is available for Jetson Developer Kits for Xavier and Orin modules, as of JetPack version 4.6. Select the external storage you would like to flash to (EMMC [default], SDCard, NVMe, USB, or Custom).”

Am I right?

Thank you.

That is for Xavier and Orin. Your topic is filing in jetson nano forum. What is the exact platform you want to ask?

1 Like

Hello,

In the case of Xavier or Orin, how can I flash the sdcard installed in the sdcard slot on the carrier board?
Here, Xavier is not applicable to xavier nx?
If xavier nx is also applicable, is there a board equipped with an sdcard slot on the xavier nx developer carrier board?

Thank you.

No matter what platform you are using. If this is a sdcard “on the carrier board”, then so far it can only mount the file system. Not able to boot from it.

1 Like

I think what the document says is still the sdcard on the module. Not the carrier board.

1 Like

FYI, you can install content of any image to any SD card directly from the host PC’s command line. The trick is to know what image to create, but this still won’t be useful to you as a rootfs partition unless the boot stages have a driver for the carrier board’s SD card slot, or else if you have a custom initrd. So far as I know the flash software for SD card models (dev kit models) which lack eMMC have drivers for the SD card slot available during boot, but eMMC models do not. Those which are SD card models probably don’t have any understanding of a second SD card slot since the dev kit carrier does not have this.

Boot content, including drivers and boot loader, exist in QSPI memory for SD card module models, and in separate partitions of eMMC for eMMC models. Thus to add any such driver or device tree usually requires more than just adding that content into the rootfs. I have hopes that the newer releases which use UEFI boot will eventually be much easier to work with adding drivers during boot stages for custom hardware.

Double confirmed with sdkmanager engineers. Confirmed that description is for internal sdcard, which is on the module. Not that extra one added on your carrier board.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.