About the rndis0 and usb0 network interfaces

How to use the rndis0 and usb0 network interfaces for Jetson NX board? Can we disable them for our product via “nv-l4t-usb-device-mode-config.sh”? what is the effect when I disable them?

This interface will form a virtual network between your host and jetson.

That is why tools like sdkmanager can install the sdk software even when no Ethernet is connected.

I just wanted to add some background on the topic which might make the answer more intuitive…

Originally Jetsons would be flashed, but there was no network connection to them over USB. One had to use the wired ethernet. For myself this was fine since I have a second local network set up for just development.

The Linux “gadget” interface has been around for quite some time, and a “gadget” can be created for standard USB class devices on any Linux system which has a type-B “device” connector (the micro-OTG, or “on the go” connector, behaves as a host if the ID pin is not connected, but as a type-B device if a type-B is connected). That interface is limited to “standard” class devices (ones which don’t use custom drivers), and still requires much setup before that interface can pretend to be that kind of device. However, network devices happen to have some “generic” (standard) drivers, and so it is possible for that micro-OTG connector to pretend (with a lot of setup) to be such a device.

Adding the network to the USB connector meant the same connector which flashes the Jetson can be used for the rest of the setup (once Linux boots…a flash takes place, and then the Jetson self-reboots to Linux). This is only a USB2 port, so it is slower than using an actual ethernet.

Note that the “gadget” interface is a Linux thing, and not specific to Jetsons. Disabling those is simple, and it only removes the micro-OTG port from pretending to be certain USB standard devices once booted. You would still have the regular network interfaces, e.g., the gigabit, which could be used during flash. The only difference is that you’d need to know what the address is for the Jetson on the gigabit (the micro-OTG port always pretends to be 192.168.55.1, and the router part of that device always tells the host to use address 192.168.55.100…you’d have to check the Jetson or the router to know what the actual ethernet port uses).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.