Adjusting display size

Hello,

I have a Zotac 1050 ti card that builds and runs fairly well under the latest Slackware version. I worked through most of the power management problems and believe me, when inserted in an IBM TS140, there is a cornucopia of them, and now I am on to bigger and better things.

With nouveau driver blacklisted
nVidia’s latest and greatest installed
a 1080p AVOL TV which is used as a monitor.

The card boots rather well into 1280 x 1024 x 32(24).
Great … Wooo hooo.

Next I started X with the drivers configuring the xorg.conf file upon install.
Then upon starting, I have to adjust the driver to underscan (reduce the picture size) so that I get everything
on the screen. This is the same problem I have in Windows 8.1.

Once done, using the nVidia driver, I updated the xorg.conf file with the new settings.
The machine boots into X just fine, the screen is complete - no problem.
But when I log out of X and return to the console, the characters (mainly from the command prompt) are now cut off and out of the viewable area of the monitor. I had not required to underscan in console mode, this was only a requirement for X (and also windows). Once I log out of X, now I have to underscan in console as well, but I simply have no idea how to do that. Furthermore, because it wasn’t required before booting into X, I am thinking (probably too much) that I shouldn’t have to do it once I log out.

I tried kdjf3@dkxl: /$PWD:# reset
this simply reset the terminal but the text was still out of the viewable area.
This great 159$ dollar monitor simply doesn’t accomodate adjusting the viewable area.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideas? I do not mind doing the reading, but with this (since this is the first time I had ever experienced this problem) I have no idea where to begin to look for things to read on this. Of course, that being said, If someone has a more direct suggestion - I wholeheartedly would not refuse that either.

MB.

Maybe try to use fbset for that
-xres
set visible horizontal resolution (in pixels)
-yres
set visible vertical resolution (in pixels)
-vxres
set virtual horizontal resolution (in pixels)
-vyres
set virtual vertical resolution (in pixels)

hmm, that seems very worthy of effort. I have never had to do that, and therefore I never knew such options existed. My apologies are extended for my ignorance, but my job set has very little to do with computers beyond press button here and observe change there. In short my friend, I am not a coder by trade. I will give this a try. Just out of curiosity, using these values with very small changes from native values isn’t likely to destroy either my card or my monitor? Guess the only true way to find out is by using small incremental changes until the desired effect has been achieved.