Black screen after install of nvidia driver for my ubuntu

Hi everyone,
I have a laptap with Ubuntu18.04 and the kernel is 5.4.0-108.I know maybe Ubuntu20 would be better, but for some reason 18.04 must be used.
And when I try to install Nvidia-driver-470 on my laptop(RTX 3060), my GUI disappeared.But I can use the tty1-6 to operate. And nvidia-smi is OK.
I try to solve the problem and have used almost all the methods below in the post(Black screen after install of nvidia driver ubuntu),for example:
1. delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf, infact I have not the file.
2. remove nomodeset
3. make sure nvidia-prime and remove nvidia blacklist files
4. switch gdm3 or lightdm
5. change options nvidia-drm modeset=1 to 0
This has been bothering me all day. Can someone help me? Thanks a lot!
nvidia-bug-report.log (1.9 MB)

Added:After the driver is installed, xrandr has no output.

grep nvidia /etc/modprobe.d/* /lib/modprobe.d/* can’t find blacklist except nvidiafb.

The kernel and firmware is too old for your intel igpu. Please upgrade the kernel using the liquorix ppa and manually install anewer firmware package
https://packages.ubuntu.com/de/impish-updates/linux-firmware

1 Like

Hi, thanks for help.
I have updated my kernel to 5.15.31 and reinstall the Nvidia-driver-470.But something seems to be wrong.

nvidia-bug-report.log (515.0 KB)

The firmware package needs still to be upgraded, the intel igpu is not fully functional. Furthermore, you used the runfile installer with pointless options, please uninstall it using --uninstall options, the install the driver using the Software&Updates application.

Oh, thanks a lot.
I upgraded my kernel from 5.15.31 to 5.17. And now it’s easy to make Nvidia-drivers work.
I deeply appreciate your help.Thanks again!

1 Like

Hi,
I have a similar issue with my Dell XPS-7590. After upgrading the ubuntu from 18.04 to 20.04 lts, I couldn’t make my Nvidia-GPU work. Everytime I install a driver from Software&Updates or from the command line, after rebooting, I get a black screen or the screen with the Dell log. I should use TTY terminal to purge nvidia to be able to reboot.
My ubuntu kernel is: 5.4.0-121-generic and my Nvidia is: GeForce GTX 1650. I followed some of the instructions on this thread (… black-screen-after-install-of-nvidia-driver-ubuntu/109312/215) but I couldn’t solve it. Any help is appreciated.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (291.4 KB)

Hi am having a similar issue nvidia card detects the external monitor connect to the hdmi port but will not detect by laptop screen.
If I select intel from prime-select then only laptop screen works.
Would you be able to help
I am using
razer-blade laptop
GeForce RTX 3070
and nvidia driver 470
Ubuntu 18.04 → needs to be this version of ubuntuing nvidia

here is the log output from running nvidia-bug-report.sh
nvidia-bug-report.log (2.1 MB)