Black screen after install of nvidia driver ubuntu

Geforce RTX 2060 super. Tried installing Ubuntu 20.04. I get a black screen with a frozen cursor in the top left. I tried purging all nvidia drivers and installing the latest available driver, apt install nvidia-driver-465. I ran nvidia-bug-report.sh but it froze, so I ran it in safe mode and attached the log. I would appreciate assistance @generix
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (81.9 KB)

I have the same problem with my new Alienware M17 R4
GeForce RTX 3080 Laptop GPU
VBIOS Version: 94.04.42.00.13

BUT: the screen is not really totally black. Only backlight is not working properly (you see a shimmering login screen).

My way to solve it was to install a specific driver version:

After fresh installation of Ubuntu 20.04: Strg+Win+2 → Terminal → Uninstal Nvidia Driver → Install Nvidia Driver 460.67 → Deactivate “Nouvaue”

But this is not perfect. I did not try CudNN and Tensorflow with GPU Support and hope, that this will work in the future.

I have a GeForce GTX1050 Ti (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS)
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 / NVIDIA Corporation GP107 [GeForce GTX 1050 Ti]

On a fresh ubuntu installation it works fine but after an apt update my both screens turns dead black, nothing. And the behaviour is the same on two computers with 1050 GTX boards running the same Ubuntu version.
I found that changing back the driver to 450 driver from the 460 driver works.

Just wanted to report back on the issue. After trying out and failing to use the Ubuntu of different versions - I have decided to try Debian and… it worked. No driver issues for far.

Note: you have to install the driver form buster-backports in order to get latest up to date version.

Instructions here: NvidiaGraphicsDrivers - Debian Wiki

Blinking cursor after installing nvidia drivers (tested with several versions). Ubuntu 21.04 RTX3060 Mobile on a MSI laptop. Kernel 5.11.0-22.

Any hint @generix ?

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (390.7 KB)

The i915 driver is crashing due to this kernel bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1933274
Seems the work-around is downgrading the kernel.

Hi, I have tried going through all of the solutions in this thread but none seem to solve my issue.

I have and MSI laptop with the following specs:

• Intel® Core™ i7-10750H Processor
  • RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 512 GB SSD
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 6GB

After I complete installing the nvidia drivers and I reboot, the screen goes black and displays:
/dev/nvme0n1p2: clean, 186440/31227904 files, 4388006/124895488 blocks

I have installed the recommended version of the the nvidia drivers (460.84) but I have also tried installing different versions but the problem persists.

When I press ctrl+alt+F2 it takes me to a terminal. When I run nvidia-smi there it shows that the nvidia drivers were installed and working. However, I can not make the laptop boot into the purple screen with ubuntu on it.

When I purge the nvidia isntallation and reboot then the laptop start ubuntu normally but when the nvidia drivers are intalled it goes into this black screen with the text I stated above displayed.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post.

Hi! I have dual boot and when I select Ubuntu from de Grub I get the black screen and is like the display was off. When I connect the HDMI to a TV the screen appear in both. Since that moment I didn’t shutdown my notebook. I think that when I decide to turn off, the problem will appear again. I appreciate any solution.

Here is my nvidia-bug-report.log
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (424.7 KB)

Looking at the logs, the driver wasn’t loading before (don’t know why, though) so I guess this was just a conincidence that it started working when you connected a second monitor.

Hi! I have a dual boot on a desktop PC (Ubuntu 20.04 and Windows 10), I have an ASUS motherboard with an AMD Ryzen processor and an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080. The PC stopped being able to boot after I downloaded updates: “sudo apt update” and “sudo apt upgrade”. Currently, after attempting a normal boot of Ubuntu 20.04, I get a blank screen with a terminal cursor blinking and then the terminal cursor is frozen, the PC remains unresponsive. Currently I can only boot the computer in {recovery mode + network + root access}.

I tried reinstalling the nvidia drivers (versions 460 and 465) several times, and have tried different proposed solutions listed on this and other threads.

Here is my nvidia-bug-report.log
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (99.6 KB)

I would appreciate any solution or something that I could test next. Thanks in advance!

Actually, for anybody having this issue, I just googled a few times more. I found that there might be some issue in the nvidia-driver-460 after the version 80. Solution, install by hand the version 460.73. (This solution worked for me.)

I got the tip from here:
issue: Ubuntu freezing on boot after Nvidia driver installation
solution: 465.24.02 page fault - #102 by chainofflowers
driver version that worked for me (460.73): https://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/460.73.01/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-460.73.01.run

Hi, thanks for your reply. Here is my nvidia log file attached. Thanks :)
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.2 MB)

You have a hybrid graphics notebook so both intel and nvidia gpu will have to work.
The kernel is too old for the intel gpu, please upgrade HWE:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
Then nouveau is still active, please blacklist it, create /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau-blacklist.conf

blacklist nouveau

and run
sudo update-initramfs -u
Finally, please delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Hi everybody,
I have freshly installed Ubuntu 20.04 in a dual boot setup with WIndows10 (also freshly installed, and Nvidia driver is working). Installing the newest Nvidia driver 460.80 on Ubuntu results in black screen after boot with my default kernel 5.8.0-59 (using Ctr+Alt+F3 for a terminal to get some info). However I can boot the backup kernel 5.8.0.43. But in both cases nvidia-smi reports: “NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.” Now I tried some solutions presented here and others in the Nvidia forum. None worked. The bug-report is attached but please note that a black screen suddenly showed up during the run of “nvidia-bug-report.sh” … resulting in hitting the reset button on my machine.
Thank you for your support.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (146.4 KB)

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (342.3 KB)
Hello, I’m using AERO15-XA 9750h+2070M. I was installing 20.04 with 460+cuda10.1 and works fine, but when I upgrade it to 470 and install cuda11, it goes black screen with only cursor afterward. I switch between 460, 460-server, and 470, and doesn’t work. here’s my bug report. Plz, help.

Hi!
I have a similar issue.
I installed the recommended, tested nvidia driver
460 on my Ryzen 5600H, gtx 1650 laptop and it won’t reboot. Black screen, blinking cursor. I don’t know how to remove it (I’ve read a lot of forums but I’m scared I’ll mess something up) and which Nvidia version should I switch to (or if I should give up for now and go back to nouveau).
Thank you very much!

Edit: forgot to mention this was after a ubuntu 21.04 fresh install (worked fine) and switching to proprietary drivers (crashed).

I was trying to run Ubuntu 20.04 on an Alienware m15 r4 with RTX 3080 and had the same issue with the internal display not working (external display was working). For me upgrading to the 470 beta driver solved the issue.

I upgraded from 16.04 with an install of 396 to 20.04. The driver installer no longer worked on this version so I tried to install the latest driver of nvidia-driver-470. After doing so I end up booting into a black screen, the log is attached. nvidia-driver-460 also doesn’t work. The only version that is working so far has been nvidia-driver-390, but I would like to upgrade to a newer driver to use newer cuda versions.

nvidia-bug-report.log (354.5 KB)

made an account to paste what I had to get this trashfire working on a new thinkpad. why is this so much suffering

• thinkpad extreme g3 32g ram
  • nvidia 1650 ti

bios settings that worked:

• graphics mode: discrete
  • secure boot off
  • slow boot

os settings:

• ubuntu 21.04 (18, 20 didnt work)
  • kernel 5.11.0-31 generic (5.10 might be easier to get working but I didn’t have any packages for it, avoid oem kernels)
  • driver: nvidia-driver-450 (and related deps)
  • nvidia-prime: yes
  • blacklist nouveau: yes

grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“text”
GRUB_TERMINAL=console

Tried so many installs of the nvidia driver manually and so many versions/kernels, they all resulted in some form of a black screen/freeze. after may kernel swaps, reinstalls I tried an older ubuntu driver meta-package (nvidia-driver-450) and for some reason I haven’t had any black screens. I’m probably 1 apt-get install from calamity.

anyways, good luck friends

(to anyone reading from ubuntu or nvidia, I will pay you so much money for stable, easy to scaffold linux installs for portable desktop computing. why is this still so hard in 2021? )

1 Like