Blank virtual consoles (maybe wrong video signal params)

This is a very annoyng problem lasting for so much time, that I even cannot remember when it occured first.
When trying to switch to any virtual console (VC) by Ctrl-Alt-Fn - the screen goes blank and contains just my monitor’s energy-saving message.
Trying to go back to X with Ctrl-Alt-F7 resumes the signal (didn’t resume when uvesafb was used).
Today I decided to test various setting like changing the FB driver to simple-fb-driver, removing all the corresponding setting from the kernel line and elsewhere, adding params for nvidia-kms to have modeset=1, etc, etc.
All in vain.

uname -a
zgrep FB /boot/config-4.9.0-gentoo
cat /etc/modprobe.d/nvidia.conf
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf

Please suggest what direction I should head for now. Any ideas welcome.
If there is a need please do not hesitate to request extra info.
Thank you in advance…

If you use UEFI system, you need the following configration;

1. CONFIG_FB_EFI=y in kernel config
  2. video=efifb nvidia-drm.modeset=1 in kernel command line

Thank you for the hint.

As a matter of fact my system boot is BIOS-based, not UEFI. So using efifb will not help.

Is there still a way to have usable TTYs along witn nvidia module? Switching over to nouveau is not welcome.

PS If that may be useful - I had long time used nvidia with uvesafb and that worked like this:

1. Booting system with video=uvesafb I had working TTYs until the nvidia module load.
  2. When nvidia loaded - my TTYs became blank and unusable (though still could be operated “in blind” - e.g. I could restart X from command line there). I could return to X by using Ctrl-Alt-F7 and continue work.
  3. Since some recent update of nvidia-drivers the system’s behaviour changed - now it is impossible to return to X from blank TTY. So obviously I cannot use uvesafb anymore and there is a need to setup system differently.

I checked my kernel params, and adjusted xorg.conf using some info I managed to google. now it seems I have a properly working driver (dmesg and Xorg.0.log do not contain errors). But nevertheless truing to switch to TTY a got a blank screen with my monitor starting energy-saving mode.

Please advice - is there a way for current versions of nvidia driver to have it properly setting video mode in TTYs while the system is BIOS (not UEFI)?

PS Here are the latest logs/settings:
dmesg | egrep -i “nvidia|NVIDIA|drm|DRM|modeset”
cat /usr/src/linux/.config| grep -v ^# |egrep -i “DRM|FB”
cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log
cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/nvidia.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/xorg.conf