Blender import usd not importing materials

Hello!

Any timeline for when Blender will be an official connecter? I can’t wait!

In the meantime, I cannot get Blender to import the materials from other usd sources and I was wondering if there is a work around.

Basically I have taken unreal projects, used omniverse to bring them into Create. Then exported usd and fbx files to try and open in Blender.

Blender opens the geometry no problem, but all of the materials are empty.

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Hello @michalex19! We partnered with the Blender team to create a special application connector which is available now (Alpha Branch). If you haven’t already, you can download the Blender for Omniverse app by opening the Omniverse Launcher > Exchange > Apps > Blender 3.0 Alpha USD Branch

The goal is to eventually move to a proper Blender Connector, but this allows blender users to have solid import/export capabilities with Omniverse.

https://docs.omniverse.nvidia.com/con_connect/con_connect/blender.html

Let me know if this information helps answer your questions!

I am using the Blender 3.4.0 alpha USD branch and still do not get any textures in blender when importing usd from 3dsmax. Omniverse View is correctly displaying the textures.

@schonart
Would it be possible to attach here or privately message us a link to the USD file and textures you exported from 3ds Max and are trying to import into Blender?

Also it is important to specify the Textures folder location and handling (packed/copy) when importing into Blender.

Thanks!

ExportFrom3DSMax2022.zip (6.6 MB)

Here´s my latest export.
As already said, everything works fine between Omniverse View/Create and 3dsmax.
In Blender the materials are always white/empty Principled BSDF without any connected nodes as mentioned in the initial post.
Shouldn´t there be an automatical conversion to the Omniverse PBR graph with correct mapped nodes pointing to the textures?

What can I additionally do to correctly specify locations and handling when importing into Blender?
Any docs on this?

Thanks for investigating, let me know if you prefer *.usda.

1 Like

Meanwhile I get it working this way:

1. Export from 3dsmax to *.usda
  2. Open in texteditor
  3. Replace each line including:
    uniform token info:mdl:sourceAsset:subIdentifier = “OmniPBR(float…)”
    with
    uniform token info:mdl:sourceAsset:subIdentifier = “OmniPBR”
  4. Save
  5. Import in blender
1 Like

@schonart We have been able to reproduce the issue you reported and confirmed the OmniPBR sub-identifier issue. This will be fixed in our next update. Thanks!