Blender mesh export to USD issues

Hi, I am having a problem with exporting mesh from Blender to Omniverse.
I use the blender downloaded through the Omniverse Launcher.
After creating the mesh and applying all modifiers I save the file to USD through “Export USD” function (image 1).

When opening in “Create” app my geometry looks completely different (image 2).

Any suggestion how this could be fixed?

I was trying to attached second screenshot here but it is not working so I will add it in to the next reply.

same geometry in omniverse

Hello @user122810. Yeah, something strange happening here. I have sent this over to the dev team to help troubleshoot. They may need you to attach your logs and, if possible, a copy of your source file.

Here is where you can find your logs:

For Omniverse:

• Omniverse Logs: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\.nvidia-omniverse\logs

For Blender:

• Connector Logs: C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Omniverse\<CONNECTORNAME>

One more question! Are you using the Omniverse Blender Connector application or are you using a separate Blender Application?

Hi @user122810! A developer suggest that the problem might be that you have invisible edges. The development team is working on how to handle this problem in the conversion. For now, you will need to make sure that you add edges there. Select your vertices then hit J on the keyboard to create your edge.

Here is some more help:
N-gons: New Edge/Face from Vertices — Blender Manual

How to add the edges properly:

Please let me know if this information was helpful or if you have any further questions!

I experienced the same issue when using Bolean modifier in Blender, to make a hole in an object from another object hidden…
I’m interested too by the resolution!

Hi Guys, thanks for all the feedback.

It looks like the issue is with the rendering of the n-gons.
Below you will find a snapshot of the front wall and as you can see the surface definitely have more than 3 or 4 edges.

It would be great if the Omniverse could recognise and fix issues like that.

For now, there are two solutions in blender:

1. manually fix the surface and change the n-gon to a surface with triangles and quads.
  2. Follow instructions below:
    a) select the object in question
    b) go to the edit mode (Tab)
    c) change selection to surfaces
    d) select all the surfaces or just the ones that have more than 4 faces (Select Faces by Sides)
    e) right click and select “Triangulate Faces”
    f) exit the edit mode

now the model should be ok to export.
optional step after the “Triangulate Feces” you can use “Tris to Quads” to clean the model and reduce the number of tris.

Best regards

Hi all! Thanks @user122810 for identifying where the issue is. I wanted to let you know that the development team is looking into this issue.

1 Like

Hello everyone. After chatting with the development team, we discovered that we need a way to handle invisible edges. I created an internal development ticket (OM-45116) to get an answer to this issue. Really appreciate your input on this problem.