Booted SD Card Recovery

hi dear community!

i booted an SD card with jetson nano image.

now i would like to use this card for another purpose but when I plug it on a computer, can’t see anything. Is there a way to use it again?

thanks in advance!

Hi,

I think you may be using a Windows PC, so you can’t read/write the ext4 partitions on the SD card.
You may have two choices:

1. Find some tools on Windows that supports manipulating ext4 partitions.
  2. Boot into your device, shrink the rootfs, and create another partition as maybe exFAT or FAT32, which Windows natively support.
1 Like

hi,

i can’t see the sd card when i plugged it into my pc. how can i see it though?

Hi,

Do you understand what I’m saying here?
Just some examples here:

yes but there isn’t any clear tutorial

I don’t think I’m responsible for a clear tutorial on it, as it’s a general Linux question, but not specific to our product.
This one seems to be easy enough for use:

Or use GParted on your device to create another partition:

Every disk partition in an operating system has a filesystem type which the partition is formatted with prior to being used if there are going to be files on it. Windows understands the VFAT variants, plus NTFS. Linux has its own ext4, plus a lot of others; typically people also can use VFAT and NTFS on Linux, or at least as extra data reading and writing though not as the main o/s partition. If your SD card is formatted for ext4 (the Linux filesystem type), then Windows won’t understand it.

Windows lacks the filesystem permissions granularity Linux has (Windows is downright primitive and has not really progressed much since the days of DOS 6.0 other than journals and longer “fake” file names). The reason you cannot read the SD card, if you are reading in Windows, is that Windows does not understand ext4. If you were to use ext4 on the Jetson, at least as the operating system, chances are that it would fail due to permissions issues.

One possibility, if the SD card is large enough, is to use an ext4-aware disk partitioning tool to decrease the main partition, and then add a new NTFS or VFAT partition with the newly available content. Linux can be set up to easily read and write to this, and Windows will also see that particular partition. It depends on what you want to do (which you might describe in more detail). You won’t be able to make Windows natively read ext4 (although you could install the Linux VM of WSL2, but then it’d really be Linux reading it).

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.