Brightness/Gamma problem with recent nVidia drivers

HP Pavilion dv7 3140el laptop with nVidia GeForce GT 320M.
OpenSUSE 12.2 x86_64.

Starting with version 304.60, I am experiencing Brightness/Gamma problems.
KDE power management is unable to automatically adjust the brightness.
Nvidia-settings takes a long time to start (about one minute) because of the file $HOME/.nvidia-settings-rc; if I delete that file, nvidia-settings starts immediately, but as soon as the file is regenerated, the problem returns.
All OpenGL programs have the same problem (for example, GoogleEarth starts immediately, but the globe appears after one minute).

Typing, for example “nvidia-settings -a 0/Gamma[DFP-0]=0,746” from a terminal, I get:

ERROR: Error assigning 0,746000 to attribute 'Gamma' on linux-22kj.site:0.0
       specified in assignment '0/Gamma[DFP-0]=0,746' (Bad handle)

Tested with 304.60, 304.64 and 310.19.
Last working driver: 304.51.

HP Elitebook 8440p, NVS 3100M
OpenSUSE 12.1 x86_64
kernel 3.6.6 from Index of /repositories/Kernel:/stable/standard
kde 4.9.3 from http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Release:/49/openSUSE_12.1/

I can second the described problems.
(please ignore the .bmp extension of the attached logs. without, the forum software will not accept the attachments :-( )

• delayed start of nvidia-settings (without -n or deleting .nvidia-settings-rc) on 304.43, 304.51, 310.19

• brightness control not working via Fn+F9 / F10 on 310.19
    however, setting via

cat "nn" > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

works

[This file was removed because it was flagged as potentially malicious] (74 KB)
[This file was removed because it was flagged as potentially malicious] (72.3 KB)
nvidia-bug-report-304.51.log.gz.bmp (74.9 KB)

Opensuse 12.2 x86_64 same behavior. I Can
echo “15”>/sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness
and it does change backlight intensity.

But kde does not seem to be able to do that. This drives to think it might be a kde problem ?

It’s been 2 months since something has changed with the nvidia driver nvidia.

Adrian

HP EliteBook 8530w with Quadro FX 770M
Fedora 17 x86_64

Not sure about gamma, but I also have problems with brightness settings with 304.60,304.64 and 310.19. 304.51 works.
The brightness keys and also brightness settings from KDE power management do not work. Can use /sys/class/backlight to change the brightness manually.
Often after suspend the brightness is set to minimum while /sys/class/backlight reports the brightness to be at maximum, setting the brightness manually still works in this situation.

It seems that something has changed in the way that the driver handles the brightness/contrast/gamma, and this creates problems to KDE.

I recently updated to KDE 4.9.4 and nvidia driver 313.09. Now brightness settings work in KDE. Not sure if it was a change in KDE or nvidia driver.
The problem that /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/{,actual_}brightness does not properly reflect the real brightness on the screen remains. It also does not show the brightness changes done through KDE.

I can confirm that setting brightness via KDE power managment as well as via FN9+FN10 works again (openSUSE build eg. kdelibs4-4.9.4-5.1.x86_64)