BUG [375.26;378.09] NVIDIA-PRIME: Can't switch to integrated GPU

Whenever I switch from my gpu (gtx 1060) to my igpu (Intel 530), I cant boot. The loading screen is stuck with the following message:

[Failed] Failed to start NVIDIA Persistence Daemon. See ‘systemctl status nvidia-persistenced.service’ for details.

However, I can boot when I switch back to the Nvidia gpu.
Switching to my igpu does not work at all, when I logout the screen freezes and when I reboot I get stuck in a boot loop.
I’m using Kubuntu 16.10 and only my internal laptop display.

That’s the output when I switch to my igpu:

sudo prime-select intel
Info: the current GL alternatives in use are: [‘nvidia-378’, ‘nvidia-378’]
Info: the current EGL alternatives in use are: [‘nvidia-378’, ‘nvidia-378’]
Info: selecting nvidia-378-prime for the intel profile
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-378-prime/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_GL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-378-prime/ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/x86_64-linux-gnu_EGL.conf (x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-378-prime/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_GL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf) in manual mode
update-alternatives: using /usr/lib/nvidia-378-prime/alt_ld.so.conf to provide /etc/ld.so.conf.d/i386-linux-gnu_EGL.conf (i386-linux-gnu_egl_conf) in manual mode

Result of lspci -k | grep -EA2 ‘VGA|3D’

[i]00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation HD Graphics 530 (rev 06)
DeviceName: Onboard IGD
Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer HD Graphics 530

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106M [GeForce GTX 1060] (rev a1)
Subsystem: CLEVO/KAPOK Computer Device 6a03
Kernel driver in use: nvidia[/i]

The attached nvidia-bug-report was not created after the bug occurred, since I wasn’t able to open the console (alt-ctrl-f1), the computer didn’t respond at all.

Could you please help me?
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (122 KB)

prime-select is developed at ubuntu. You will have to file a bug with them.

Hi there again,

I do think there’s also a bug in the nvidia-378 driver. If I switch manually to the mesa driver for the Intel GPU using update-alternatives, everything works. However, If is switch back to /usr/lib/nvidia-378-prime/ the system can’t load SDDM anymore and consequently can’t boot.

If I understood everything correctly nvidia-378 is the driver for the Nvidia GPU and nvidia-378-prime is the driver for the Intel GPU provided by the Nvidia driver?

If this is the case, this bug partly applies to the official Nvidia driver too.

Thank you for your help!

No, Nvidia is not providing any driver for the intel gpu. Maybe read this:
[url]PRIME and PRIME Synchronization - Linux - NVIDIA Developer Forums
to get an insight on how prime works.
I short, the intel gpu is driven either by xf86-video-intel DDX driver which is developed by intel or by the modesetting driver which is developed by Xorg and comes bundled with the xorg-server. Those paths nvidia-378 and nvidia-378-prime are non-standard and introduced by Ubuntu and their prime-select infrastructure. So you should really ask there as only someone who uses Ubuntu and knows how their prime-select works in detail will be able to help you. I, for an instance use Gentoo and don’t have anything like that so won’t be able to reproduce anything.

Ok, thank you!