Can I power Jetson Nano through the 40-pin GPIO header?

The Raspberry Pi is easy to power through the 5V input on the 40-pin GPIO header.
Can I do the same to the Nano devkit?

The answer appears to be “yes”:

[J41] … Two 5V pins can be used to power the developer kit at 3A each.

Yes that is correct, you can supply up to 6A total through the 40-pin expansion header, which delivers the most current of any of the power methods (in case you have power-hungry peripherals attached to the board).

1 Like

It turns out, I couldn’t power through the GPIO header the very first time.
I unpacked a nano fresh from Amazon, plugged it in, and attached a 5V/10A bench power supply to 5V/GND.
The board drew about 20 mA, but wouldn’t turn on.
I shorted the “on” pins on the “automation” header, and the board drew 60 mA, but still didn’t start.
After I plugged in a 2.4A USB power supply, and booted the system, and then unplugged it, I could then power it on using the 5V header.

What does a “fresh” nano do the first time it boots, that enables this to work?

@snarky,
Is there any trick here? Cause I’m connect power 5V/3A to 5V/GND but it could not turn on.
What I can see is it comes to Nvidia logo and then shut down, not able to boot on to the OS

No trick, but you need to make sure that the power source really has the ability to deliver at least 2A without temporary sags in power if there’s a load step. Many cheap power supplies cannot do this!

Also: I had that weird experience where it wouldn’t turn on (at all) when fed the GPIO power from the very beginning, but after I booted once on USB (which needed a good USB power supply,) I can now boot with power from GPIO just fine.

I use one of these power supplies, and alligator clips to a 100-mil connector pigtail: https://amzn.to/2WQq4mU
(I adjust it to 5.1V, 3.0A limit)

Hi snarky, did you have a jumper fitted on the Power Select Header (i.e. like with DC barrel jack adapter)?

I assume you mean J48/USB power? I did not install any header, it’s the plain vanilla board.

Is there a good diagram somewhere of how the different rails connect?

@snarky, I have tested and here are the result:

• Using power supply 5.2V - 4A, if connect to microUSB, the board can boot
  • Same power supply, connect to 5V and GND of GPIO, could boot only to NVIDIA logo then turn off.
    Im not sure about using 2 PINs of 5V, could you explain further about it?
    Thanks
1 Like

How many mAmp supports (input) or sends (output) the GPIO pins of the Jetson Nano? I would appreciate sending specification sheet. Thank you.

The GPIOs are fairly low power; typically between 0.1 and 2 mA. The specifics depend on the pad group your GPIO is bound to – this is described in the X1 SoC Technical Reference Manual.
Page 246 specifies a 50 Ohm impedance, which at 1.2V at 90% means about 2.4 mA.

If you want to interface with anything physical, chances are you’ll want a buffer chip and/or logic level transltor of some sort. Anything from a TXB0101 to a 74LV14 with 1.0V threshold to a simple MOSFET with low Vgs threshold might work.

Also, this question should probably be separated into another thread, because it’s talking about drive strength, not powering the device.

The X1 SoC TRM is downloadable from the downloads section.

I have exact same issue with powering , but I had my Nano working initially with GPIO pins I connected two wires to 5V pins and had 2 ground pins. To draw maximum power i hooked up a 12v battery and stepped it down using a buck converter to 5V and 5A was the max current the converter could take in. So everything was fine . Until I had to connect more peripherals because I was drawing around 3 to 4 amps and it was throttling . So I decided to give a parallel connection from the battery to have maximum current and upon doing this , I have the same issue as presented above . Also I seem to have broken what was working before with one buck converter but micro-usb charging port works just fine

Hi irina.altemir,

Please help to open a new topic if it’s still an issue. Thanks