CAN interpreter sample with different .dbc file and CAN data file

Please provide the following info (check/uncheck the boxes after clicking “+ Create Topic”):
Software Version
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0 and DriveWorks 3.5
[+] NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 10.0 (Linux)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 9.0 (Linux)
other DRIVE OS version
other

Target Operating System
[+] Linux
QNX
other

Hardware Platform
[+] NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Xavier DevKit (E3550)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Pegasus DevKit (E3550)
other

SDK Manager Version
[+] 1.6.0.8170
other

Host Machine Version
[+] native Ubuntu 18.04
other

Hi,
I was trying to use the CAN interpreter sample which is running fine with provided .dbc file and data files.
Provided data file is in .can format.

Is it possible use the data recorded in ascii or text format with CAN interpreter sample? or only ‘.can’ and ‘.bin’ formats are supported?

Hi @nithin.m1,

Please check dwCANInterpreter_buildFromCallbacks() and Callback-based "plugin" interpreter in CAN Message Interpreter, and see if it’s applicable to what you’re looking for.

Hi @VickNV ,

Thank you for your reply.

But actually am afraid that am not looking for what you have shared,

Let me make it little more clearer,

I have CAN data recorded with vector (like can King) tools. These are in ascii format. I have corresponding .dbc files as well.

But I saw that in sample we are using .can files / .bin files as data files.

So my questions are,

1. whether I will be able to use CAN data recorded ascii files as input to can interpreter sample? If not can you confirm that only .bin/.can format is supported.
  2. If only .bin /.can data formats are supported, then could you please tell me a suitable viewer to open the .can/.bin files so that I can understand how data is organized.

My Ascii file is looking like as shown below, Do I need to convert this to suitable format before using with CAN interpreter sample?

custom ASCII files aren’t supported.
You need to use our Recording Tools to get the files and then use sample_canbus_interpreter to view them.

Hi @VickNV,
Okay Thank you for the clarification, in that case I will have to wait till we get the drive platform.

One more doubt to clarify …may be silly… please bear with me,

NVIDIA has a list of supported sensors for drive AGX xavier platform.

Suppose if our sensors are not in that supported list, but delivers the data via CAN interface. In that case do we need a custom plugin to interface the sensor with drive works? or can we use directly socket can or aurix interfaces to get the data, provided we have corresponding .dbc files?

Hi, @nithin.m1

To leverage DriveWorks API, you may need to follow Integrating with Custom Sensors. Thanks.