Can Omniverse be installed on an virtual machine?

This might be a dumb question, but I am trying to install Isaac sim with omniverse on a ubuntu 18.04 in VMware workstation, with RTX 2070 windows 10 host, to use it with ROS.

However, I have found out that I cannot install an Nvidia driver in the virtual machine (for obvious reasons), and if I ran the isaac-sim.shdirectly, the following error will occur:

[0.528s] [ext: omni.kit.editor-0.1.0-full] startup
2021-01-13 00:19:02 [760ms] [Error] [carb.graphics-vulkan.plugin] VkResult: ERROR_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
2021-01-13 00:19:02 [760ms] [Error] [carb.graphics-vulkan.plugin] vkEnumeratePhysicalDevices failed. No physical device is found.
2021-01-13 00:19:02 [760ms] [Error] [carb.graphics-vulkan.plugin] No physical device is found.
2021-01-13 00:19:02 [761ms] [Error] [gpu.foundation] carb::graphics::createInstance failed.
2021-01-13 00:19:02 [761ms] [Error] [omni.kit.plugin] createGpuFoundation() failed.
./isaac-sim.sh: line 4: 14125 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) "$SCRIPT_DIR/../../target-deps/kit_sdk_release/_build/linux-x86_64/release/omniverse-kit" --merge-config="$SCRIPT_DIR//experiences/isaac-sim.json" $@

Is this because I’m using a virtual machine instead of a physical graphics card? If so, is there any recommendations on how should I configure to run Omniverse?

Thanks!

1 Like

Yes, you can install on virtual machines but need to have RTX enabled GPU for graphics.
You can also install Nucleus on VM without a RTX GPU for collaboration

I’ll have someone help debug for you.

Thanks! So I guess there is no way or not practical for me to do any PCI passthrough to use the physical GPU since it is also needed by the host OS, and I think Nucleus is not practical either since I need to connect omniverse with Isaac sim and ROS. Is installing ubuntu on the physical machine my only option here?

Hi, you should be able to install the NVIDIA drivers on an Ubuntu VM once you have the GPU passthrough working.
Here’s a link to the NVIDIA drivers:

I am not sure if having Windows as the host OS might have any issues though. Is possible to use other host OS and run ROS on another Windows VM? I believe you should also be able to share a GPU between VMs but I would recommend a more powerful GPU than a 2070.

It is still recommended to run Isaac Sim on a bare-metal Ubuntu machine natively for authoring with the UI.

2 Likes