Cannot boot or flash Jetson AGX Developer

My Jetson AGX Developer no longer boots, and I am also unable to flash it.

The immediate cause of the problem was that I was recording data with a microphone and unintentionally wrote the data to the internal memory instead of to an SD card. The recording created a file which was several GB in size. When I finished recording the data, an Ubuntu warning popped up that there was only 230 MB of memory left on the Jetson. I went away to get an SD card onto which I could transfer the files, and when I came back the screen was locked and I couldn’t unlock it because the system no longer recognised my password. This appears to have been a consequence of the memory being full. I am no longer able to log in. When I try to reboot the Jetson the process aborts with the following message:

CPU5: shutdown
CPU6: shutdown
CPU7: shutdown
edid invalid

I attach the UART log from the boot process.

I then tried to flash the Jetson, but this aborts with the claim that the Jetson is not in recovery mode, although all other tests confirm that it is in recovery mode. I’m using the SDK Manager 1.8.0 on a laptop natively running Ubuntu 18.04 (i.e. not a virtual machine), and the USB cable provided by NVidia is attached to the front USB-C port of the Jetson, as per instructions. To start the Jetson in recovery mode the board is initially off and then I press and hold the Force Recovery button, press and hold the Power button and finally release both buttons. The output of the command lsusb on the host confirms that the Jetson is in recovery mode:

Bus 003 Device 002: ID 04f2:b684 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
Bus 003 Device 003: ID 8087:0026 Intel Corp.
Bus 003 Device 005: ID 0955:7019 NVidia Corp.
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Step 1 of the SDK Manager also states that the attached Jetson is in recovery mode. However, the flash process aborts with the following message:
The Jetson target is in a bad state and cannot be flashed. Please manually put the target into recovery mode and then retry flashing.

The last part of the log in the SDK terminal is as follows:

18:37:57 INFO: Found route default wlp0s20f3, setting up device mode
18:37:57 INFO: [host] [sudo] password for anonymised:
18:37:57 INFO: net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
18:37:57 INFO: Device mode on host successfully set with DNS 8.8.8.8!
18:37:57 INFO: command finished successfully
18:37:57 DEBUG: running command < true >
18:37:58 INFO: command finished successfully
18:37:58 DEBUG: Flash Jetson AGX Xavier - flash: using adapter to install MV_L4T_FLASH_XAVIER_WITH_OS_IMAGE_COMP@JETSON_AGX_XAVIER_TARGETS to /home/anonymised/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.6.2_Linux_JETSON_AGX_XAVIER_TARGETS
18:37:58 INFO: Flash Jetson AGX Xavier - flash: current working directory is /home/anonymised/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.6.2_Linux_JETSON_AGX_XAVIER_TARGETS/Linux_for_Tegra
18:37:58 INFO: Flash Jetson AGX Xavier - flash: sudo ./nvsdkmanager_flash.sh --nv-auto-config --username my_username
18:37:58 INFO: Flash Jetson AGX Xavier - flash: [OEMPreconfig] SDKM_INSTALL_ERROR Password for L4T new user my_username:
18:37:58 INFO: Flash Jetson AGX Xavier - flash: *** Checking ONLINE mode ... OK.
18:37:58 INFO: Flash Jetson AGX Xavier - flash: *** Checking target board connection ... 1 connections found.
18:38:03 ERROR: Flash Jetson AGX Xavier - flash: Put the target board in RCM mode and retry.
18:38:03 ERROR: Flash Jetson AGX Xavier - flash: command terminated with error
18:38:03 SUMMARY: DateTime Target Setup - target: Depends on failed component

What’s gone wrong? How can I flash my Jetson AGX Developer?
uart.txt (37.6 KB)

For the sake of clarity:
I posted this question on the forum before but the topic was automatically closed before I could upload the UART log, i.e. that forum discussion did not solve my problem.

Hi,

I feel your “no longer boot” is just “desktop fails to launch”. Your uart console still has the login prompt.

Ubuntu 18.04.6 LTS waammon ttyTCU0

waammon login:

Could you login the console with uart and share me the dmesg and /var/log/Xorg.0.log?

Also, since you have flash problem, may I ask, is this your first time doing flash on this host + jetson?

I mean, actually, most of “cannot flash” issue happens because the host side configuration problem. It is rare to be really a hardware problem on jetson side.

I was able to login to the console and then delete the very large file. After that I rebooted the Jetson and the desktop launched normally.

So to summarize, when the desktop didn’t launch because the internal memory was full the solution was to connect the Jetson to a linux machine with a micro USB cable and use the program screen to access a terminal on the Jetson through a serial port. I only learnt about this option because I needed to access the UART logs.

Thanks for your help.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.