Cannot Install CUDA 5.5 for GTX 690

Hi,

I failed to install the CUDA 5.5 for GTX 690. Very frustrating. The installer kept saying that it cannot find the compatible graphic hardware.

I also tried to install 4.0, all the others succeeded, but I cannot install the dev driver; Same error as 5.5, cannot find compatible graphic hardware.

My computer is dell vostro 420, win 7, 64 bit

You might need to uninstall any NVIDIA drivers already exisiting on your system and install the one directly from NVIDIA. You don’t need the dev driver, really, just a relatively current driver that is compatible with the CUDA toolkit you’re installing.

Do you see your NVIDIA GTX 690 in device manager?

Hi, vacaloca:

Thanks for the reply. I gave up installing it and installed 4.0 version instead and get my VS work.

Thank you!

You can install the latest driver from nvidia website, then install CUDA 5.5 without driver coming in the package.

Similar issue - Dual Boot Win 7 Ubuntu 12.04 GTX480

• currently running CUDA 5.0 on Win 7 updated the driver to 320.49
  • installation of CUDA 5.5 failed ‘cannot find compatible hardware’

Could you please full clean the driver? Here below are steps.
1.Go to Device Manager → Display adapter → Select NVIDIA graphical card → Properties → Driver → Uninstall → Check the box “Delete the driver software for this device” → Click Ok
2. After driver is completed removed, click “Scan for hardware changes”. The native in box graphical driver will be installed. Click and expand Display adapter, make sure “Standard VGA Graphics Adapter” is present.
3. Install CUDA packages
4. Go to %systemDrive%\ProgramData\NVIDIA Corporation\CUDA Samples\v5.5\bin\win64\Release
5. Run sample named deviceQueryDrv.exe in cmd. If no error, it means CUDA driver is installed successfully.
6. Run sample named deviceQuery.exe in cmd. If no error, it means CUDA runtime is installed successfully.

In addition you need to look at package which you download from CUDA Toolkit 11.7 Update 1 Downloads | NVIDIA Developer.

The package “cuda_5.5.20_winvista_win7_win8_general_64.exe” can only be installed on desktop/workstation/server platform.
The package “cuda_5.5.20_winvista_win7_win8_notebook_64.exe” can only be installed on notebook platform.