Can't login to Jetson TX2

I wanted to remove my password so I did the following (to the best of my memory):

1. I clicked the gear/power symbol at the top right corner and clicked “System Settings” and then “User Accounts”.

2. I clicked “Unlock” at the top right corner and entered my password, bringing me to a window that looked like this:

1. I clicked the “*****” button (where the cursor is shown in the screenshot above) and then next to “Action” I clicked and it brought up the drop-down menu:

1. I selected “Log in without a password” and clicked “Change”

Unfortunately when I restarted the Jetson TX2 I was still prompted to enter the password in order to login. My previous password does not work and hitting Enter with it blank does not work, what do I do? :(

Hi devinkp,

Suggest you can turn on automatic login, after reboot, the system can auto boot to Desktop.
System Settings -> User Accounts -> Unlock -> Turn on Automatic Login

Unfortunately I think I need to login in order to do that. This is where I’m stuck:

I’m wondering if I need to factory reset my Jetson TX2 and start from scratch somehow?

Hi devinkp,

After turn on auto login, are you still stuck on login screen?
What image you use? are you using clean image or build source code image?

I can’t turn on auto login because I can’t go to “System Settings” without logging in (which I can’t do). I only get “Switch Account…” and “Suspend” from the login screen, as you can see here:

IMG_0763

As for your question about the image, I installed the Jetpack SDK

Hi devinkp,

If possible, suggest you can flash image again.
You also can press “Ctrl+Alt+F2” to terminal mode and try to login.

Thanks @carolyuu!

If anyone else runs into the same problem:

1. Hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 at the login screen. This will take you directly to the terminal where you will see username-desktop login: at the command prompt.
  2. Type whatever your username is and hit Enter. Since you changed your settings to “Log in without a password” (which is what got you into this predicament in the first place), you will automatically be logged in and now you will see username@username-desktop:~$ at the commend prompt.
  3. Type passwd username (whatever your username is) and hit Enter. You will be asked to enter a new password and then asked to re-type it.
  4. Once the change is made type logout and hit Enter, and then restart your Jetson TX2. You should be good to go!
1 Like